Is "hacking" a phone number possible?

DH thinks it's happened to him, and I know something is definitely up. He got a text earlier tonight saying "who is this" from a number not in our area. He had a phone call where he couldn't understand the caller - and considering it's a cell, it wasn't a telemarketer or bill collector. He had another phone call, someone asking who it was because his number had called their phone at 8 - no, it didn't, I was with him at 8 and he had his phone. All different numbers for these particular 3. But they were within a matter of 3 hours - he's had more texts & calls like that at random times, 1 every 1-2 weeks. So, is it possible someone has a phone and somehow "hacked" his number or something and is using his number to do stupid stuff? He tried calling the "help" number but of course it's the weekend, and he can't get to a local place for a few days to ask about it. So if anyone knows anything, it would be great! Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Technology

• Yes. You can easily change the number that shows up on someone's caller ID. Just Google "disguise caller ID" and you'll get plenty of options.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 11:35 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Yes, I had a bad experience with this recently. Someone used my business phone number to place a couple of calls. Then those people called ME back asking why I had called them and I was like what the hell? Then I found out that supposedly there is an app for cell phones that you can very easily do this with. Scary.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:27 AM on Mar. 28, 2011