Way to go Maryland

Maryland General Assembly recently sought to do what no other state in the region has done. Before a single well has been drilled, it moved to ban the practice, boldly stepping into the center of a heated conflict. there were 91 violations of the state’s Clean Streams Law, 155 violations for discharge of industrial waste onto the ground and into waters, and 212 faulty pollution-prevention practices.
The real dangers of fracking:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/03/fracking-pollution-in-wat_n_803737.html

CHarlan

Asked by CHarlan at 11:31 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm happy to see my home state is still progressive. Unfortunately, Wyoming and Colorado don't have such enlightened legislators
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 2:56 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Local Economies are suffering...... Natural Gas is perhaps the best energy source to for the power-hungry communities of America.... Now, the future of energy is at the hands of a a two-year study by the Maryland Department of Energy? At the cost of the state? Hrmmmm...... I wonder how many jobs will NOT be created, continued, or how many will be lost? ... The bill passed,stops the work and progress of companies like Chief Oil and Gas as well as Samson Resources.. Liberal Anti-Stimulus.... Not too mention the leases worth millions of dollars for local property owners in Maryland..... Two Year Study? Why couldn't they have been studying this YEARS ago? this isn't a "new process"... While there are developments and advancements in the process...... Two MORE years of studies?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:04 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I feel for the citizens of Maryland. Michigan has pretty cheap natural gas. The pipeline is not far from my house and the sector employs quite a few in our state. We have the largest supply in the country.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:15 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Fine, let the good people of Maryland freeze then. Me, I will be living in Wyoming where the energy is cheap and clean.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:34 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Exactly YSK. Flawed testing leads to flawed data.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:18 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

You don't know much about Wy and Co do you??
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:12 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I don't think the companies who have permits off the coast will be following any recently laws passed in MD. Constellation Power owns most of those in that region, they aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:25 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Our city's water is in constant violation of EPA standards...why..because they test where 2 rivers converge..several miles away from the actual source of our water. The city is constantly having to implement new technologies and do new cleanups...on their water source..only to have the same area that isn't the source tested and again found deficient.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:49 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• As long as the companies providing energy are simultaneously given perks AND endless regs, they aren't going to clean up squat and they will keep getting away with polluting/contaminating ground water and other resources. You can't fix one without the other ~ and just banning new activity isn't going to fix the problems with the current activity.

Cripes I'm glad I have a well and most of my solar installed. Staying off the grid is the only/best way I know to not suffer an endless migraine these days. I'm even more glad ~ given the testing results in our area ~ that our well is 200' down. Most are at around 75', but I'll take all that extra filtering.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 4:26 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• LOL! I will be happy to get to WY. It is one of the few states not in a financial hole. My new home will have it's own well and the power will be supplied from my very own wind turbine.

And yes...faulty testing does produce faulty results. Our water bills are going up another $8 a month soon..to pay for the newest "fix."
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:28 PM on Mar. 28, 2011