Teaching ur kids about the outside world

So I have a young son and with him i get to explore the world through his eyes sometimes but i know as an adult the world has evil people in it. How do I tell him about these evil people?

I don't want to protect him so much that when he goes out into the world he is doomed but i don't want him to think everyone n the world is evil and out to get him.

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 11:35 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• You do it little bit by little bit when you find yourself in an appropriate situation.

We recently took a plane trip. DS (age 4) has been on enough flights to know we have to go through security. A few days before our last flight he asked why we have to take off our shoes. I started by explaining that sometimes bad people try to sneak things on planes that can hurt others, and the security people just want to make sure everyone is safe. Eventually we got to the point where I briefly touched on what happened on 9/11.

Also, he will learn about "evil" on his own. DS knows he has to stay near me when we go out because I worry about someone kidnapping him. He knows that not all kids (or adults) are nice. He has learned that guns exist, and they can be used to kill people (first questions came up this year when learning about Pres. Lincoln). He doesn't need all the details right now, but he is learning a little more each day
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 11:50 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• Thats a tough question. You have to explain that some people don't have the best intentions but most people are not out to do harm. I always gave my dd examples of bad things that happened and explained why and how to avoid it. GL.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 11:50 PM on Mar. 27, 2011

• ok...well im kinda more worried cause I have a black son and I know he will get tested more in society. I have good ideas how to keep him out of the bad stuff but I know in school there will be that one white kid that calls him a N word or something like that. My mom never really taught me how to fight or anything so for the most part ppl dont mess with me but every so often I have to knock someone's head off...but I am a female I have a black male...one wrong step and he is done for. I kinda got fear about things.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 12:26 AM on Mar. 28, 2011