How long can a baby go being exclusively breastfed?

Another question got me thinking about this. How long can the baby be exclusively breastfed? When would they eventually need food?

prettyrayray

Asked by prettyrayray at 2:52 AM on Nov. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No sooner than 6 months but you can wait until around a year. Your baby only needs the breastmilk and bothing else for that first year, the solids are for taste and experimentation.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 3:19 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• my mother in law told me she breastfeed her son exclusively untill he was four.... i think that is excesive. but he turned out just fine!
    edwinsmom2008

Answer by edwinsmom2008 at 5:23 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I agree with the first poster. One year with no solids is fine. They are just for expiramenting. I suppose going longer wouldn't hurt the baby if he wren't ready for solids and wasn't mal nourished. Mommy must be sure to eat enough and take vitamins so her body doesn't get depleated either.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 8:24 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Exclusively breastfed means not consuming anything but breastmilk. To the poster who said her MIL EBF for 4 years, maybe she meant the only milk she fed her child for 4 years was breastmilk.... it's dangerous to EBF until a child is 4. Anywhere past 12 months, they NEED food as well.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:20 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I EBF my daughter until 8 months, and then she started showing intrest in what we ate, so she eats 3 times a day with me. Follow your babys cues, every baby is different.
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 9:53 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Up to a year. However, I have a freind whose son refused solids until he was nearly 18 months old. He's still happy and healthy and is now eating. And the doctor was NOT worried, he has no issues.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:14 AM on Nov. 27, 2008