How to prepare my two year old and eight month old for daycare?

My two year old is very apprehensive. He doesn't talk yet and doesn't get along with other kids or strangers. He has also been in a cast for a broken leg for the past month (it should come off on Thursday) and I am really worried about them going into day care. I was just hired for a new job and have no other choice since I am a single mom. How can I prepare him for the transition? I understand it is going to be ROUGH but is there anything I can do to help? I haven't found a daycare just yet, but will start looking tomorrow. Also, my eight month old is breastfed. How do I go about with the pumping and whatnot? I really want to continue giving him my milk. How does that work with the daycare?

Sorry this is rather long. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 11:54 PM on Mar. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When I had to work and my mom had to watch my son who was also breastfeed i started pumping and storing milk in storage bags or in bottles. Does your son take a bottle? If not it would be a good idea to start or you can give him a sippy cup.

can check here for more info about storing LLL

can buy these at walmart

Gen

Answer by Gen at 12:18 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Once you find a daycare, bring your kids along to see it. Find out if the place will let you leave them there for an hour or so before their actual first day – this lets the child AND the caregivers get a feel for each other. Expressed breast milk should be no problem. Just bring in the bags, frozen or thawed, and they will feed it to the baby.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 8:57 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Bring your kids to tour the daycare with you, start talking it up. Any good daycare will let you stay with them a few hours before the first day or bring them in for just an hour for a trial run. The first day or two can be so hard but they adjust very quickly and will actually look forward to it eventually. When interviewing daycares ask their advice on how you should handle the transition and how they handle it. Ask as many questions as you can and if they seem put out answering the questions RUN! To get them prepared beforehand there are two books that are great, Llama Llama misses mama and The Kissing Hand. In the first few days of daycare avoid the desire to linger or feel guilty. Give your hugs wave goodbye and run to end the drama quickly.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 12:34 PM on Mar. 29, 2011