2 1/2 year old with very bad diarhea does he need to be seen? adult content

My two and half year old has been vomiting consistently for a month on a daily basis. He is scheduled to see a pediatric gastroentrologist and have an endoscopy, colonoscopy and ph study done, but can not be seen until July. Currently he is on an antibiotic for an ear infection and a respiratory infection yesterday and today he started having very violent diarhea that is very watery and yellow colored. At first I was freaked out because I thought his urine was neon yellow. He has had 4 diapers like this in the last 4 hours and 2 yesterday. I'm wondering if he needs to be evaluated tonight, if it can wait till tomorrow or if it's common with the antibiotics. I'm really at a loss with the little guy.

katiekruschke

Asked by katiekruschke at 12:10 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Get him seen by a specialist asap!
    LovableFox

Answer by LovableFox at 12:16 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• IF HE IS FREAKING YOU OUT TAKE HIM TO THE ER. He may need an IV ( depending on how dehydrated he is). * Also if his bottom is red b/c of the poops.... CRISCO LARD (blue container) IS THE ABSOLUTE BEST. With 2 apps it will start the red to pink process. It does not burn like allllllll other butt rash creams do.... it protects to keep a barrier between and it also allows the area to get heal. put enough on so that you can wipe some off when the area gets messed up though.

I hate to hear this, I know its scarey.... so sorry .
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 12:31 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I've never heard of crisco before we will have to try that because it is rough and teh prescription butt paste isnt touching it. This is whats broken about our healthcare. You read this and you think "okay obviously there's an issue with this kid" but it their doctor is so overbooked he cant see him till July and apparently as sick as he is there are a bunch of little kids a lot sicker than he is waiting to be seen. It just sucks.
    katiekruschke

Comment by katiekruschke (original poster) at 12:37 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Poor little guy :( I really would get him to the ER if it doesn't stop incase he gets dehydrated. Try to get him to drink lots of pedialite. Hope he gets better soon!
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 12:51 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• The antibiotic is likely the cause of the diarrhea. I wouldn't take him to the Er unless he is showing signs of dehydration.

Can you see a different Ped GI? I assume his weight is okay since they are holding off on seeing him, but if his weight has been dropping/not gaining well I would find a GI who can see him sooner.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:54 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I know THE CRISCO (BLUE CAN) not the butter flavor..... sounds crazy but My son had a rash from antibiotics once and everytime he pottied he'd CRY AND CRY... I took him to the ER and 3 nurses and a DR told me of this. I went right to walmart, paid and went to the bath room ...put it on him. the next thing I knew he stopped crying, and by the 2nd application I put on him the redness was going away and it was pink..... every since I have only used that. even on my DD too. Hope he gets to feeling better soon though..... and you too,
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 1:16 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• His weight is not good. He has not gained weight in a year. He sees a pediatric endocrinologist for that and is on an appetite stimulant to try and work on that. We only have one pediatric GI doctor in our network and he is actually retiring. He sees a few kids, the really sick ones I guess, and they finally found a replacement but for whatever reason he can't be seen till July.
    katiekruschke

Comment by katiekruschke (original poster) at 11:34 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Where do you live? Can you get in the car and drive a few hours to a specialist somewhere else or a childrens hospital that would have that kind of specialist on staff.? Can you get on the phone with your insurance on the ask a nurse line and scream holy hell and threaten lawsuit for not having more choices for critically needed care and see if they can come up with some options for you. Appointments with specialists are often skirted by admin and can be pushed by your primary care physician if you pressure them.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 12:28 PM on Mar. 29, 2011