Scheduling question....my mind is freaking bogged down right now & I need help asap

Just opened a health center, a small one, and I want it staffed with 2 employees, one male one female open to close, all day.  Reason being is I need them to attend to the locker rooms when needed and it's best to keep women in the women locker room, men in the men.  IMO

We open doors at 5am, and close them at 11pm.  <<open a total of 18 hours

shifts are as follows I would like to schedukle in shifts. HOw should I work this out?  The shift starts 15min before opening and the closing shift ends 15min after closing.

Righ now we have 6 people hired on, and I don't want to hire many more.  How can I work the schedule so that I can keep as few employees as possible.  We open on the 15th and the managerial docs, like this, are being sorted now, and I am late.

My goal is to have as few FT people as possible and FT positions are something I want earned, not something I want to hand out because we have a package with kaiser in the works for healthcare and that costs us money as well. so yeah.  help me, feel free to ask any questions, my brain is on speed right now  jk

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Money & Work

• Hm... You could do shifts the way you said, but what about that hour that they are on lunch--who would be attending to the patients?
    445-1345
    1415-2315
    That would give your office a 30 minute closing. With the six people you have now, you could do something like this:
    Team 1-1st shift on Sunday, Monday, 2nd shift Tuesday, Wednesday
    Team 2-1st shift on Tuesday, Wednesday, 2nd shift Thursday, Friday
    Team 3-1st shift on Thursday, Friday, 2nd shift Sunday, Monday
    Then alternate Saturday shifts for each "team"--this will give 2 teams 45 hours and one team 36 hours a week.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 12:52 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• What days are you open?
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:21 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• everyday! eeesshh what did I do to myself lol I hope all of this cramming will pay off. But I know it's just the begining.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:22 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• 4:45a-2:45 with an hour break

and then

2:15p - 11:15 for the second shift

until I hire more people?  My HUbby and Myslef will also be there probably 24/7 the first few weeks of opening.  which gives us time to put more on staff, I was honestly thinking 4 more people.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:26 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• The only thing with the first shift is they will be working 9 hours so if they work 5 days a week then you will have to pay time and a half for overtime.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:30 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• >.> if they get an hour break for lunch than that means they only work 8 hrs if you work 5 days so 40hrs
    Gen

Answer by Gen at 12:34 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• o.o' my dh says he can make up a mock schedule but he said your gonna need at least 8 employees 4 of them full time >.> but if you don't start with them full than you would need at least 12.
    Gen

Answer by Gen at 12:53 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I figured some would need to be FT.
    @laird6327....love that break down.
    1 hour lunch so an 8 hour day...I just feel like 30minutes is not enough.

I just typed up an excel that has shifts. I have some people who really want FT, some who only want to workweekend, etc so I'll figure it out. Thanks for the input. helped me organize my thoughts a bit.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:32 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• 18 hours a day x 7 days a week = 126 hours a week

so if you and your husband work 40 hours a week that will leave you with 26 other hours.

If you hire one female at FT and another female at part time that would be at least 60 a week.
    Same if you would hire one male at FT and another one at part time that would be another 60 a week. Which would be about your quota.

So one person could come in at 4:45 am and work until 2:00 pm. Another person could come in at 4:45 am and work until 11:30 . Giving each person a 1/2 hour lunch break and a 10 minute bathroom break. Then have another person coming in at 2:00 pm and working until 11:15 pm and the other person 5:00 to closing. This can vary when you find out when your busy times are and your less busy time. Then you can adjust accordingly.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:40 AM on Mar. 28, 2011