Why is it....?

That breastfeeding moms in public are frowned upon (by some) but it seems it's perfectly ok for a half naked woman in an ad, whether the ad be on tv or on a magazine, to prance around and advirtise something like shoes? I find it irritating when someone bitches about a woman FEEDING her baby but they find it ok for some celebrity to lie naked with her boobs barely covered up to advirtise a guitar or something. What are your thoughts? NO rude or mean comments. I want this to be a GROWN up conversation please.

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 2:58 AM on Nov. 27, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• All I can say to this is that I BF both my kids, in public, and I was either oblivious to it or didn't receive any frowns. The worst situation I ever had with it was being at a BBQ and being escorted to a back bedroom to BF because the hostess had teenage boys. My SO brought a plate of food to me so that I could eat, but how could I? I was holding a child and it was BBQ for goodness sake! As far as nudity in advertising, well, it has gone way too far.
    LovinIt247365

Answer by LovinIt247365 at 3:09 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• oh girl, i so agree with you. the other night, my 11 yr old DD didnt have school the next day, so i let her stay up late. we turn on the tv at 11pm and there is a infomercial for girls gone wild! wtfluff? but when a mom bf in public, it makes cnn. what a sick twisted world....
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 3:03 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I used to get the same reaction ,its embarassment pure and simple , when they see an advert of a half naked woman they can gawp at it all they want ,its on the tele or the paper or magazine they are reading so its acceptable but when its in your face ,its "uncomfortable "for THEM,not us , because they just see BREAST not a baby being fed its so ridiculous I know ,I was once asked to feed my son in the toilets at mcdonalds to save embarassing customers ,it was 14yrs ago though .
    loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 3:04 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I think we should carry around a Victoria's Secret magazine and whip it out to cover our breasts while breastfeeding if someone seems uncomfortable, stares, or makes rude comments. =-)
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 3:41 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Because why would we want to look at boobies in a non-sexual manner?

Looking at the American culture compared to the rest of the world, we are one of few if not the only, that sees breasts as something sexual. I had a conversation about Florida with a Pakistani lady breast feeding. She said she was surprised I talked to her. Most people give her a disgusted face. I do not see why feeding a child is more disgusting than some model with half her ass hanging out to sell some crap I don't need.

LovinIt247365...as far as your BBQ thing...boys in my family have been taught breast feeding is natural and normal, just some mothers can't or choose not to do it. I am sure he sweet innocent teen boys have seen boobies before.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:44 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I like Knoxs response.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:16 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Knox, that's pretty funny. Wish I had thought of that when I was still nursing. Maybe next time.

The thing is that the US has a long history of margianalizing breastfeeding. Our grandmothers were told that their breastmilk was bad, our mothers were told that they were indecently exposing themselves and breaking the law. Now it is a battle over what it means to be "discreet". We've come a long way in a relatively short period of time, actually. When I was a baby (oh so many years ago) my mother would take me out to public places to nurse me as a form of protest. Imagine being considered a radical because you breastfeed! She once nursed me standing in line to vote! If we want to keep the ball rolling and create further change, I think the best way to do it is to be kind and friendly, to smile at nay-sayers, to be sensitive of people's discomfort while still asserting out rights, and to educate the general public.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:55 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I completely agree. We have sexualized the breast in our culture to the extent that we forget it's actual purpose. I mean, breasts are to sell beer after all! Oh wait- they're not? They're to feed babies??? Wow- who knew? LOL!

Seriously though, I bf'd all three of my kids (actually bf'ing the youngest one as I type) and I do bf in public. In Canada it doesn't seem to be quite as controversial as it is in the US. I really doubt that my kids will bat an eye at a woman bf'ing when they are older... it's something they have seen a billion times before. Maybe if his generation has a more grounded view of breasts advertisers will have to think of some other way to sell beer and sports cars!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:36 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Heh, thanks ladies. I have way more technical answers -- as doulas we attend continuing education seminars and one of the best ones I attended focused on how media has sexualized breasts. One of the biggest movements behind this sexualization is the push for infant formula feeding. They dissected formula ads and it was so crazy -- even if the ads said "breast is best" they showed moms AT HOME in frumpy muu muus no makeup, bunny slippers by herself. Moms using formula are out practically partying, skinny, with their husband and yes it's a HUSBAND because they both have on WEDDING RINGS. The formula companies also give lots of money to magazines such as teen magazines and things you wouldn't think of, like Bridal Magazines, etc. It was a huge eye opener for me
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 9:39 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I adopted my child and feel cheated out of the experience of breast feeding my son. My doctor discouraged it, so did my co-workers (also doctors), and many family and friends. Yet there were ways to make it happen. I am a BIG supporter of women who breast feed at anytime or anyplace. It is what is best for child and what is best for attatchement and the mental/emotional health of both mother and child. So I nod and smile when I see a mother feeding her baby in public. I feel women need to know that they are supported and it helps to negate the negative looks and sly glances.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:43 AM on Nov. 27, 2008