How many goldfish can you put in a 20 gallon aquarium?

Assuming they are just the little 1 inch feeder fish when you buy them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Pets

• They grow as much as you have space for them so I'd only recommend a few so they'd really be able to stretch out :) I'd get six and a catfish and let them enjoy having tons of space before they grow because they get big so rapidly :) Goldfish are my favorite pet btw I have a tattoo of my favorite of them!
    LovableFox

Answer by LovableFox at 12:40 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Ummmm....this sounds like a "how many licks does it take..." question. LOL.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:44 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I think its like 1 fish per gal or 2 gal. Or atleast thats what the fish store told me. 8-10 is best for the ph level in the tank
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 12:44 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• None. Goldfish are dirty fish. They DO outgrow their living areas quickly. Please do NOT listen to those that say they will only grow to the size of their environment. That isn't true of any fish. It's like saying you'll stop growing if you live in a closet..it's not true.

Anyways, goldfish grow fast and they expell a lot of carbon monoxide which makes their living quarters an ideal habitat for algae and other nasty stuff you don't want in a fish tank.

The rule of thumb is 1 inch of fish per 1 gallon of water. In a 20 gallon you can put some tetras (I like the black phantom ones) some glass catfish (get about 5) they will school together at the top of the tank and are completely see through except for their heads and swim bladders ( I often had people freaking out saying I had floating heads in my tank) and maybe some gouramis.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:53 AM on Mar. 28, 2011