Episiotomy or tear?

summerbear

Asked by summerbear at 1:15 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• Would have opted for an Epi. A clean cut is better than a jagged tear... ended up having an Emergency C-section tho =/
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 1:34 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I think it's personal preference...For years having an episiotomy wasn't even an option for most women, it was just a procedure done to you during your labor. Now that we have the option of whether or not to have one, it's really YOUR choice. Personally, I wish I had gotten an episiotomy! I chose not to because before I went into labor I did a lot of reading up on all the potential procedures and options I would have and according to my research, a natural tear heals faster than an episiotomy does. However, I tore naturally in TWO places, and not a perrineal tear where I had assumed I would tear if I did, but urethral which was AWFUL. Healing took longer than usual and I even got an infection....
    ShainaMay

Answer by ShainaMay at 1:37 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Neither!
    (Who wants that?!)
    ;-)

Since there are ways to prevent and avoid, I would encourage that route.
    But safety-wise, always go with as natural as possible. And avoid care providers that use outdated practices and hire those with evidence-based care.

Good luck!
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:46 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Obstetric Myths Versus Research Realities
    Chapter 14: Episiotomy

Myth: A nice clean cut is better than a jagged tear.

Reality: "Like any surgical procedure, episiotomy carries a number of risks: excessive blood loss, haematoma formation, and infection. . . . There is no evidence . . . that routine episiotomy reduces the risk of severe perineal trauma, improves perineal healing, prevents fetal trauma or reduces the risk of urinary stress incontinence." Sleep, Roberts, and Chalmers 1989
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:47 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I had an epi for my first delivery and it was 10 very painful days before I could sit. I tore for my second and again (slightly) for my third and seemed to heal a lot better than I did with the epi.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:06 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I tore slightly with my son and it healed very quickly. My tear happened because after I delivered his head the doc reached in and pulled him out because his heart rate was dropping with every contraction and every one was worried...He was alot bigger than they thought he was going to be. 8lbs 3 oz 20in and his head was 33 cent. !! I am a very small woman do deliver that size of a baby! I would tear again before I chose to get and epi. though.
    logansmommy711

Answer by logansmommy711 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2011