Besides a gown...

What can I wear during labor and delivery. I want to wear my own clothes...

summerbear

Asked by summerbear at 1:15 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think your safest bet is to call L and D at your hospital and ask them if they have any restrictions on what you are wearing.
    Personally, I would rather ruin a hospital gown and then put on my own clothes after. JMO.
    phantomphan

Answer by phantomphan at 1:18 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Most time a gown because they can get really messy, with all the fluid and throwing up (I did a lot!). Plus if you need an emergency c section or crash cart they come off in a flash right after you have your baby and things settle your aloud your own clothing. You don't want to have pants on either they check you a lot.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 1:26 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• You could wear a short sleeve tshirt one you don't care if it gets ruined. That willallow you to have all the gadgets hooked up to you and still be covered and comfortable.
    ice05

Answer by ice05 at 1:39 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• It's all up to you. I know women who have labored in tank tops, sports bras, nursing bras, nothing, bathrobes, whatever works. I chose the hospital gown, only because then I didn't care what got on it. Plus, it could be snapped around the IV and such if needed. Wear whatever you're comfortable in, but I wouldn't wear shorts or pants once you get to the hospital, because they'll be checking you, and you'll have stuff leaking out of you once you get into active labor (blood, mucus, possibly amniotic fluid). Also, you run the risk of your clothes having to be cut off of you if they need to get in there in an emergency situation.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:47 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Wear your own clothes. That's what I am used to for my labors (and others).
    IF you want to wear a gown you can, or be nude or whatever you feel like.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:49 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• During labor you should be able to wear whatever you want, so long as they can hook you up to all the machines. However, during delivery, there will probably be restrictions.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 3:17 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• You could always try and make your own gown.
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 7:55 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Sports bra? I dunno. I always wore the hospital gown so as not to ruin my own clothes.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:04 PM on Mar. 28, 2011