Has anyone tried the Atkins Diet? Was it good or bad?

letlovegrow2524

Asked by letlovegrow2524 at 1:22 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• My husband and did it and it was ok we modified it a little bit to us and what we like to eat. My husband of course lost more then I did about 40 pounds in 3months I lost about25. It is quite expensive to eat that way though. So you have to go with your budget, just like most diets. Unfortunately exersise is key even if youcan exersise a little thatwill help.
    ice05

Answer by ice05 at 1:35 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• It's not particularly healthy. Your body needs carbohydrates for fuel, and the body then turns the excess protein into ketones (glucose) for fuel. This process isn't particularly good, because the byproduct is ammonia. Also, this diet tends to be high in saturated fat if you're not careful, which contributes to heart disease. You're better off finding something you can maintain for the rest of your life, because any fad diet you try, when you stop doing it, will leave you gaining every pound back that you worked so hard to lose, and your metabolism will be slower for it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:33 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I tried it , but I didnt last long, I felt too limited and it does seem like it take away things that you do need
    joanie70

Answer by joanie70 at 6:00 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• A modified version that includes plenty of vegetables is actually a great option, and will turn your body into a fat burning machine rather than a fat storing one. There are ways to lower the amount of saturated fat (eat lean protein, make sure you're getting good fats, etc.). It's not the fat that contributes to heart disease, it the excess insulin (as a result of eating CARBS like bread, pasta, rice, etc.) in your system that wreaks havoc on your body and contributes to heart disease. Read up on the carbohydrate intolerance/hyperinsulinemia and weight/health connection to learn more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:46 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• It suppose to be good...
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 8:32 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I tried it and it worked, until I quit and gained it all right back.
    AllThatBabyJazz

Answer by AllThatBabyJazz at 11:18 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Yep, And I gained it all back. Atkins is a fad diet. It's also been proven to be hard on the kidneys and liver.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:52 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• it works , i lost 92 lbs in 9 months , used suppliments , never exercised at all , you have to read the book to know how to do it and why it works.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 11:54 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• It works while you're on it, but as soon as you add in carbs, you gain weight back. It's not healthy. Sure you're losing weight, but you're eliminating heart healthy nutrients in exchange for foods high in saturated fat. So even if you're successful in losing weight, you're clogging your arteries so you'll be thin but unhealthy from the inside. The South Beach diet is a little more balanced and healthy. One thing to keep in mind is any diet that eliminates any particular food group is neither sustainable or healthy. Find a diet you can enjoy and maintain for a lifetime. Eating less, measuring, moving more are your best bets.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 11:55 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I heard the guy that invented this diet died pretty young of some kind of health related issue .......... Not saying it had anything to do w/ his eating habits, because I don't know how he died, but it makes ya wonder....... And everyone that I've known that has tried it has gained the weight back. But that's just me.
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 12:00 PM on Mar. 28, 2011