How Religious is Your State?

Link

The graph is broken down into 4 catagories; importance of religion in the state, worship attendance, frequency of prayer and belief in god.

Interesting stats, thought you'd be interested. 

Are you surprised by your states results?

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 1:48 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I also wonder how they ranked this? I know LOTS of people who's beliefs are extremely important, but they don't necessarily go to church. And then I wonder if they are counting alternative religions and so on...

That's why the data in that study is pretty useless. They rank "religious" based on belief in "God", an entity that is not universal to all religions, and attendance at church, a concept that isn't a factor in all religions - even if they say church when they mean church/synagogue/mosque, it still doesn't equate to religions that don't have weekly meetings. From the way those questions are phrased, the only way you can be religious is to be a Christian (and maybe a Jew or Muslim) who attends services in a church once a week. Even the ones who rebuke organized congregations don't get counted. They should've just called it "which states have the highest concentration of traditional Christians"
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:09 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:49 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Not surprised by my state's ranking, it's the Bible Belt. I'm proud of that too btw.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 6:10 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Colorado is right where I figured it would be-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:04 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I grew up in IL which is ranked 28. Now I live in WA and it's ranked 36. Pretty darn cool. I've lived here 7 months and haven't once been asked what religion I am and had 1 person imply she was uncomfortable with her kids going to church (with the neighbors). She sounded like a believer but not church going. As far as I know none of my kids' friends go to church. It's kind of nice.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:01 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Only mildly surprised. I expected it to be a bit higher, but it's still close enough to the top to make me wish we lived elsewhere.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 2:10 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Believe me I by no means believe religion makes one or their society conservative by default. By no means... lol..

I just think that it is interesting and wanted to share. Many who do consider themselves conservative do so due to religion, and many areas that I have been to that are more conservative the people have seemed to lean towards feeling that religion is the reason so. I think that some who feel that way (that religion and being conservative go or must go together) would be surprised to see that the two do no always go hand and hand.

I believe we are a very religious city, however like you stated... we are also very much a live and let live city. Portland's unofficial city motto is "Keep Portland Weird".. We embrace diversity, we revel in it, we also encourage people to be who and what they are because we do so. I have known many over the years, who came to live here for that very reason.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:20 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Portland's unofficial city motto is "Keep Portland Weird"..

I miss Portland-! and yes, we are on the same page as far as religion and social conservatives- In places like OR and CO its pretty common to understand that a stripper is not always a sinner and a pastor is not always a saint-We are more a walk the walk, than talk the talk kinda place- I am Christian- socially liberal, financially conservative- I think people in other parts of the country would be surprised how many people like "me" there are West of the Mississippi-
    I have said before- here in CO-its not "do you pray" its "do you recycle"- We have a church on every corner here in my town, yet religion hardly comes up-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 4:23 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• LOL "do you recycle"... LOL

That's pretty much the way it is here (as you know from experience).. :-)
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:29 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• 2nd in importance of religion, 5th in worship attendance, 3rd in frequency of prayer and belief in God. Does it surprise me? Nope. In a town of 642 there is roughly 5 churches, so doesn't surprise me at all.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 1:59 AM on Mar. 28, 2011