Is it okay to just cover my BMR (calory-wise) ot would that be like starving my body?

I just found out, that my BMR is something between 1700 and 1800 calories a day. But with work, exercise, cycling and so on I almost need 2000. Is it okay to eat enough calories to cover the basics or while it cause weight gain later on again?

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 2:51 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Are you trying to lose weight? If you're not, you should be sure to consume the 2000 or so. If you're trying to lose weight, it's safe to go below, but never go below 1200 calories a day. You can also figure out the BMR for your ideal weight and consume the amount of calories you'd need at that weight.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:41 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• You need more than your BMR to survive. If you eat that or less, your body will go in starvation mode. Not only will you not lose weight, you'll basically digest your internal organs as your body allows them to deteriorate to use the materials that comprise them. You'll lose muscle mass and bone mass. The muscle damage you can hopefully repair later. The bone damage isn't as easy to fix.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:36 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I understand why you're asking. I've lost a lot of weight and have become really active but then my weight loss completely stalled out. I'm working out 6 days a week, 4 of which are running 35+ miles a week (training for a marathon) plus some strength training and pilates/yoga, spin etc. Even though I am active, I kept my calories fairly low though I kept reading to increase my calories to keep up with my activity. I was afraid of gaining any of the 67lbs I've lost. Finally, I decided I'd give it a try. If I gained more than 5lbs I could go back to my old ways - 5lbs isn't that hard to lose. I started eating every 2 hrs, healthy meals and snacks and based my calories on my activity that day. That week, I lost 2lbs and have slowed down to .5 - 1lb per week which was my goal since I need to eat to have energy for 20+ mile long runs. Amazing that eating more helped me lose weight again.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 11:51 AM on Mar. 28, 2011