If your 2 year old dd did this at grandma's...

My 2 year old dd was staying at grandma's today for a few hours and when I went to pick her up, Grandma starts going off. I started asking what was wrong and she says that dd had blue marker all over her fingers and that she also had it on the carpet. Grandma says that dd's older brother was doing an art project and dd helped herself to the markers. Grandma says that she thought dd was watching her older brother play video games. All the while Grandma and Grandpa were in another room watching t.v. not watching either of my children, yet Grandma is boiling mad at dd for doing something very typical of toddlers who aren't being watched. What would your response to Grandma have been? And by the way, she got the marker out of the carpet with no problem and the carpet is 20 years old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She can't blame you for what your DD was doing under her watch. She should've been watching her and making sure she wasn't getting into trouble or getting hurt. She should have kept her in the same room with her while they watched tv or set her down for a nap and watched tv while she naped so she wouldn't of had to worry about it. The responsibility was hers for a couple hours, not yours. She can't blame you.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 3:22 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• i guess she shouldn't watch her anymore. there's really nothing you can do to stop her from messing the house if you're not there to watch her. and the grandmother isn't watching her.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 3:24 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I think grandma is over reacting!!!! She's 2 yrs old, my 2 yr old has wrote on stuff more times than i can count, you just have to clean it up and teach them that you only color on paper. Grandma should have been watching her.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 5:28 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I think gma got off lucky.  I've had entire walls colored and marked on when only given enough time as it takes to put one load from the washer into the dryer.  She was suppose to be watching her and she wasn't.  Her own fault.  I can see being upset about it but why ASSUME what a child is doing at that age, GO LOOK.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 5:43 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I think shes over reacting. But.. i had the same kind of run in, I got a call at work from my gpa screaming at me to get home, I ran out of work yelling at my boss on the way out the door. I get to gpas house & my son had painted his ford fairlane, Yes with house paint painted the entire damn thing. He left my 2yr old outside by himself with paint where he cuold reach it ugh! He expected me to pay for his car to be repainted haha. Needless to say i found a new sitter :)
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 7:03 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I agree with PP. She has no right to be mad if she didnt watch them like she should have.
    I would just let her know that in order to prevent this from happening again...they can just visit your children at your house.
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 8:14 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Tell Grandma that you'll talk to your LO about asking to use markers etc. first, but that you feel that the two of you should talk about what level of supervision is appropriate for your children before she babysits again.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 8:20 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I'd be mad at grandma for not watching the kids! AND I'd be mad at her for getting upset at typical toddler curiosity and exploration. Yes, the baby shouldn't have been doing it, but come on, she's 2!!! You can't expect a 2 year old to stay out of trouble all by herself- and I agree with MrsHouston- it could have been a LOT worse, as in someone getting hurt. THINGS can be replaced, people cannot.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:27 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My response? Something along the lines of: "Gee, guess you should watch her more carefully from now on, huh?"

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 8:49 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I'd told gma that 2 year olds need to be watched. geez grandma...think about it.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:56 AM on Mar. 28, 2011