Has anyone given birth in a birthing center?

I'm wondering what the experience was like.

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 3:32 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I used to work at one, and I wish I could deliver there! After how complicated my first labor was, DH won't let me. =( It's so amazing and calm and they really just let you go at your own pace and do things your own way. Everyone I know that delivered there has been really happy with their experience.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:35 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I've delivered at one twice.  I'll be delivering again next month at the same birthing center.  Birthing centers are all different.  Do some research on what you want your birth to be like and then see who/where will honor your birthing plan.  All in all, I like it better than a hospital.  My stay is shorter so I can recoup at home where I'd rather be.  I birthed in a birthing tub the 2nd time.  That was pretty neat.  The Midwife you use will make or break your experience I think.  Nothing is "perfect" I had both good and bad experiences with the different people I seen but it was worth it to me.  You can get hands on Midwives who take your pain personally and do whatever they can to help.  I prefer to not be touched or talked to but that's just me.  ;)

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:44 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Do you mean freestanding or hospital-affiliated?

I have birthed my babies in a freestanding one: WONDERFUL experiences!!
    :-D

doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:47 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I'm just beginning to research them..... I had a c-section with baby #1 and a VBAC with baby #2 but the dr. did NOT want to give me a VBAC. He was the on- call dr. he begrugingly did it because I had been told by MY dr. for 9 months that it was safe for me to do so. I'd rather not go through that again. Plus, my first birth was a bunch of rookie nurses that didn't know what they were doing at all. They didn't even know how to use an internal monitor, got 3 plugs stuck at the same time on baby's head before they called for help. When they weren't doing that they were braiding each other's hair. I wish I was joking but unfortunately all of that is true plus much more....
    SweetLoveofMine

Comment by SweetLoveofMine (original poster) at 3:52 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• *begrudgingly*

SweetLoveofMine

Comment by SweetLoveofMine (original poster) at 3:53 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Why not look into homebirth? They are just as safe as a freestanding birth center, but without the drive. A lot of times people incorrectly assume that a birth center is safer then home, but they would be wrong. It may even be slightly unsafer simply because there are foreign germs there, but you are accustomed to your own germs at home. :)
    squish

Answer by squish at 4:01 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• That's true.  I go to a free standing birth center. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 4:55 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I gave birth in a hospital
    AllThatBabyJazz

Answer by AllThatBabyJazz at 9:49 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• True about home birthing.
    It's the same as the birth center (all the same staff and gear)!
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:02 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Like AllThatBabyJazz, I also gave birth in a hospital. It's where I felt safest delivering my baby, which was MY choice. Just like some of you choose to give birth at a birthing center or at home. I can't understand why anyone would vote her down.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:09 AM on Mar. 28, 2011