How to find a good nanny or day care place?

My baby's due in Aug and I'm planning to take maybe 3-4 months off work. I'm looking for a nanny or day care for newborns.. does anyone have any suggestion? I'm stressing out over what to do with my baby since both hubby and i don't have any families around silicon valley.

lilmochee

Asked by lilmochee at 4:19 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• care.com
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 4:20 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Start asking everyone you know NOW about who they've had as sitters that were good. Nothing beats word of mouth. A lot of times churches offer daycare. Sometime colege students do it as well.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:24 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• *college*
    SweetLoveofMine

• try care.com
    lindseylu23

Answer by lindseylu23 at 4:55 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Are you looking for a live in nanny or a sitter?
    my4boys2002

Answer by my4boys2002 at 5:21 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I was coming on here to tell you the same thing as lindseylu23, try care.com, they do background check on those people
    joanie70

Answer by joanie70 at 5:52 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I say research , interview, and tour each location that you're considering for your child. I went on a couple tours myself.
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 7:24 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I got my 2 part time jobs at care.com. Just to clarify..........the site does not do background checks on everyone. It is up to the person looking for a job to post a background check if they want to. And anyone looking for a sitter should request the background check. I even had my fingerprints done for one family (at their expense). Look over the security suggestions if you use the site. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:00 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Does your state sponsor a childcare infoline? The state of CT has a website where you can find daycare options based on where you live, where you work, etc. Do you have a childcare hotline where you can call to check credentials?

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:01 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Thank you all for the suggestion, I'll definitely check out Care.com.
    my4boys2002: I think i'd prefer nanny over day care but probably nor a live in nanny
    lilmochee

Comment by lilmochee (original poster) at 2:17 AM on Mar. 31, 2011