Has any one tried the product-my baby can read?

I just bought the product my baby can read and I want to know if it actually works.

lindseylu23

Asked by lindseylu23 at 4:49 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Shopping

• Send it back.  I had this system.  It doesn't teach your baby to "read".  Here is a link.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/39953918/ns/today-money/

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 4:53 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• If anything, it's a good 20 minutes of entertainment so you can get your laundry folded. We used the "system" ritually for a year and our daughter can't read.

After consulting with our pediatrician who has never successfully seen it work, we decided to let our baby develop normally. All the silly program is teaching them is how to memorize certain words. That's it. You put new info in front of them and they would all of a sudden "lose" their "wonderful capabilities".

If babies and toddlers could truly read at a year old or however old, it would become a phenomenon and preschools would be doing it, pediatrician would ask what book your toddler is on, etc. It would become a huge deal. Common sense tells us that academics are becoming increasingly more difficult every year, but do note that this program has never really picked up. Why? Because it doesn't work.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 5:02 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I agree I would send it back. I never used it although I have 3 children that read well above grade level. The best way for them to learn to read is to have you sit with them and read to them from the time they are little. I started reading to my children when they were infants and now they are 14, 12, and 9 and sometimes we still read together.

Also, I think we need to let kids be kids.  They have to learn so much once they enter school and there is much time to be a kid, so I say let them be a kid.  There is time for them to learn and they have the rest of their lives to work.  Remember the saying "You're only a kid once." SO let them enjoy it.

Good Luck!

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:41 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• It is a memorization technique. The best thing you can do to foster reading is to read to your child often. It is the number one thing when it comes to reading.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:56 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• it's a scam and if you listen carefully to the commerical most of the kids are not saying what is on the cards the parent's are.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 12:50 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I haven't tried the product, but I do get a chuckle when the ad comes on the television. I've studied child development and linguistic. A child of this age is not developmentally ready to read. Period.
    ts-all

Answer by ts-all at 5:46 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I want to try it
    ja2010

Answer by ja2010 at 9:50 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Yes. My mom got it for my youngest. I just can't get her to sit still and watch it, so I just read to her the flash cars and books. They are still a great tool to help them learn to read. It was worth it.
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 6:33 PM on Mar. 31, 2011