What's the easiest way to potty-train a girl?

She'll be 3 next month. I had tried to train her a few months ago but she lost interest. Now I'm trying again because she seems to be much more interested. She's excited about it. We have a potty seat. The problem is, when she poops in her pants she goes into another room by herself and I ask her"Are you pooping? You need to go to the potty" She shouts"No! Get out of here!" lol because she doesn't want to be interrupted during her pooping time. Immediately after that she will come to me and announce she needs changed, that she has pooped. If I try to carry her to the potty when she's pooping, she will have a total meltdown. However, she doesn't mind sitting on the potty any other time, as long as it's not during poop time. She has never gone in the potty. While she's sitting the potty, what kinds of things should I say to help her go? I thought girls were supposed to be easier to train? My ds wasn't this difficult.

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 5:27 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Record the times of the day when she is pooping, so you can have a rough idea about when she poops. This way, you can try to get her before she poops & make her go sit on the potty.

What i did, is i put the potty next to the toilet in the bathroom & any time i went to the bathroom, i made her come with me & sit on her potty while i sat on my potty. When i went to the bathroom, i would jump up & down saying "look, mommy pooped in the potty....mommy gets a special treat" and then i would take myself to the kitchen, give myself a cool sticker & a treat i know she really wants. This worked like a charm for us. By the time she was 26 months, she was out of diapers.

She showed curiosity for potty training real early, like 15 months. But...her Dr. said it was too early & that she might regress....never happened. We kept up the potty training & she never regressed...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:41 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I bought a poster board for my DD w/ stickers and let my DD help me decorate it with glitter, stickers, crayons, ect. She loved it. Then I explained to her if she went potty she would get a sticker. At the end of the week if she did good then she got something special, like a special dessert or a little toy or even a trip out for ice cream. Be consistent and Praise Praise Praise her, even if she just sits on the potty and doesn't use it, tell her how proud you are and that she did good for trying to go potty.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 5:34 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My experience has been the opposite.  My boy was extremely afraid of going poop in his toilet.  But he had already been peeing in his for months.  My girl got a pretty pink toilet and Tinkerbell underwear and that was the end of that, lol.  Where is the potty located?  I finally found out with my son that he just wanted to do his business in private.  I moved his toilet to a more "private" area, and he was more comfortable going like that.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 5:30 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Awesome idea!  I forgot that part.  Hub and I did the "happy dance" every time my son went poop on the toilet.  My daughter didn't need all that, lol.  She won't even own up to a fart.  The downside is that my 5 year old son still announces that he has pooped and expects recognition and praise, ha ha!

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 5:37 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Do you live alone/with people you trust where you could let her be nakey?  We left our boy to be nakey.  The feeling was so unusual of not pooping in a diaper that he started yelling when he had to poop.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 5:38 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Babe that's awesome but that doesn't mean she will be ahead in everything.  I know it's mind boggling when you know they CAN do something and have the intelligence to do something but then they don't, lol.  Does she have underwear that she really likes?  Maybe telling her that her favorite characters don't want to be pooped or peed on would help!

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 5:46 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• What about a great reward? That is what helped my niece's daughter. She would hide just like you are describing, but her mom would watch her closely to catch her just before she would go hide, tell her about the reward, and then lead her to the potty. That's what finally worked for them. Her reward was an ice cream that she absolutely loved and they did not buy treats like that often. But it could be a toy or whatever really peaks your daughter's interest. And don't forget the applause, hugs, and kisses. Just an idea........
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:55 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• what i used to do with my daughter is if i have to go she would go with me and she would sit on her sit. I would make it into a race like who can go first gets a prize so normally i don"t win she make sure she does we race to the sink and wash our hands. but try to make it into a game give her a book and have them sit there for at least half our
    patty5

Answer by patty5 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• It's in the bathroom but I had tried it in the living roomwhee she plays most of the day. I really need to get her out of diapers. She has rally sensitive skin and she keeps getting diaper rash because her diet has changed and it takes no time at al now for her to get a rash. Plus all of the contents of the diaper are not staying inside about 50% of the time.
    SweetLoveofMine

Comment by SweetLoveofMine (original poster) at 5:37 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• *where* not whee and *really* not rally....sorry I can't type tonight
    SweetLoveofMine

Comment by SweetLoveofMine (original poster) at 5:38 AM on Mar. 28, 2011