Potty training a boy

My son is 19 months old and we've began potty training him. He's pee peed in the potty once and if he sees you're on the toilet he'll try to sit on his potty so he knows what it is. He squats when he goes #2 in his diaper, which I heard was a sign he's ready to be potty trained. I'm 31 weeks pregnant and would love for him to be out of diapers shortly after this baby is born. Is it too early to be potty training him? My friend's daughter is a month younger than him and she's being potty trained also. Any tips on potty training a boy? I'm practically clueless lol.

toddler boy

tiffanynichols

Asked by tiffanynichols at 6:45 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Personally, I think it's too young. It could take months or a whole year if you start now. I waited until the y were 3. The whole process, start to finish took 3 days. You are having a baby so soon. I wouldn't do this to yourself now.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:30 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• you could jump in & start training, but to be homest, in my experience it's too soon & not good timing -do you want to know where the poop is?? If training it can be in the potty, underpants or...? the beauty of a diaper is u know where it is.
    It is pretty typical for little ones to regress after the arrival of a new baby & also after age 2 so you have a double whammy, u can put in the hard yards & still get no-where.
    My advice ( 4 kids) would be RELAX - if he wants to sit on the potty wothout a diaper YAY! but otherwise, put on his diaper or pullup & let it go. When he is really ready he will let you know, I promise! Your friends daughter might be training, so what? Some parents feel the milestones are a race track, & there is a race to get them all ticked off. I promise one day those parents will look back & say "what was I in such a hurry for"?.
    Enjoy these last few weeks with your baby boy, before he becomes big bro!
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 7:43 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I agree with others. Google "toilet training readiness" and you will see some useful info. But I think he is too young also
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:46 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Myheartx4 makes a good point. Also girls are easier to train than boys. I have 2boys my youngest is 3 and he is just now catching on to using the potty. It takes time and I would not recomend attempting it while pregnant.
    dlshaner

Answer by dlshaner at 7:52 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I would encourage the activity to high heaven and praise and reward him but he probably is still a little on the young side. If he starts feeling the pressure, especially with other changes he is uncertain of coming in his life he will retalliate in full force and attempt number two will be brutal. Keep it fun and casual and see how it goes.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 12:17 PM on Mar. 29, 2011