Teens and working rejection

16 yr old well like and polite gets job in an ice ice cream place trains 2 day total of 5 1/2 hr
forced to pay 22 dollars fro tee shirts does well loves it. Trained by other employees (teens). Told we will call you with next week hours. The owner emails her tht her services is no longer needed. Desnt have the balls to tell her face to face or call her. i am pissed. She was told they dont get paid to train I think its the law to pay them and why shell out 22 dollars never told it was a trail. I wish they would have told her what she did wrong I think 5 1/2 hr was not long enough training. So we emailed her and aked for 22 dollars back and pay and what went wrong what would you do thanks waiting for her reply dont think she will should i email her too?

suesues

Asked by suesues at 7:35 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I think that she should have been given back the $22, but thats the only argument you really have. It is not against the law in Florida - Not to pay for training. DH's job does it too. I dont know how your state works though. Good Luck.

Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 7:39 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I would return the shirts and ask for her money back. I'm not sure if you have to be paid for training or not.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 7:42 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Go over there and talk to the manager. It's best to do it in person. First ask what the problems was, if any, then ask about the shirts. Have them with you. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:43 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I used to work in an ice cream shop as a teen and we also trained new employees, she didnt have to do anything wrong. The teens could just not have liked her, or had a friend in mind for the job. It really is that simple. Life is tough and this is probably a good life lesson for your child. I would insist on the $22 back.

Answer by gemgem at 7:45 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• If you can't ge th $22 back, you could expose them on the local news....seeing as how that was a 16 year old that they took advantage of.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 7:51 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• If the shirts are required, I don't think by law they can charge the employee for that. And by law, training must be paid to the employee. contact a free legal help office in your area or your local BBB, or like someone else said the local news channel.
    I usually get my way with local business problems, by telling them simply " I have time all day to picket out front "
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:36 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:39 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Your daughter got a bum wrap. Training pay depends on the state. T-Shirts - should be returned and the money should be returned. For the T-shirts - if she was working minimum wage, then they have to provide the t-shirts because the cost of the shirts brings her below minimum wage pay. They can be turned in for that.
    5 1/2 hrs in an ice cream shop should be plenty for training. And your daughter needs to deal with most of this and not you, this was a job she applied for, not you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• You daughter should file a complaint with the state department of labor

Answer by rkoloms at 7:34 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• yeah, she should get her money back and paid for her training. there is no way my daughter would be at a job training and not get paid for it. them kids put their time in just like us adults!
    MommaFossil

Answer by MommaFossil at 7:29 AM on Mar. 29, 2011