4-1/2 month old won't sleep through the night anymore...HELP?!

My son has slept through the night about 11 hours at least since he was 2 weeks old. For the past week or so, he is waking up at 2-3am every night. He isn't hungry, he isn't cold, he isn't overly saturated with wetness, he has a fan in his room for a light hum to block out other noises that could wake him up, I am lost as to why his pattern has changed. I actually had to call in to work today just so I could catch up on sleep. Any ideas on how to help him sleep longer? More comfortably? This is my 3rd, so you would think I would be a pro, but this little guy is challenging me big time.

Jeannie721

Asked by Jeannie721 at 8:18 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Teething? Maybe napping too long during the day?
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 8:22 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I remember when I had my first child and someone told me he would start sleeping thru the night at 6 months. You cannot imagine my huge letdown and disappointment when that much awaited for day did not produce the result I was hoping for. It was many months after before he actually accomplished that, however it was just a few short weeks before his brother was born and I started all over.. So no words of wisdom from me, just GOOD LUCK and hopefully other moms have a miracle for you that I would have paid good money for..
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:24 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• It may be a growth spurt... My kids always had trouble sleeping during those (including YDD who is going through one now). Also, one way we got our little ones to sleep was to add a little bit of rice cereal to their bedtime bottle (not making it thick and clumpy, just enough to make it a little thicker and fill them up more). A lot of people say it's not okay, but our pedi said it was fine, and none of them ever had a problem with it.

Also, if it's teething or growth spurt, a little infants tylenol or motrin will help with any pains.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 9:05 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My son is is doing the same thing. I have found that if he naps around 4:30 for about an hour or hour and a half he wakes up with enough energy to go to bed anywhere between 8:30 and 9:30 (depending on if we try to keep him up longer by playing with him) This at least gets him to sleep until 5:00am. Getting him on this schedule may be difficult. I certainly have found it difficult myself. We have our good days and our bad days but that is cause by another issue I have. Best of luck. Hope this helps.
    barbie.s

Answer by barbie.s at 10:13 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• We do feed him cereal at night and the napping issue is another thing entirely. Before I went back to work in Feb, he was napping about 2 hours around lunchtime with a shorter catnap late afternoon. But now he won't nap for more than 30 minutes at a time during the day. So he is exhausted by 7:30. I thought it could be a growth spurt, but my boys have always slept longer when having one. Could be teething, but he doesn't seem to be in any pain, he just wakes up at 3am ready to party...lol
    Jeannie721

Comment by Jeannie721 (original poster) at 12:21 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Just one wakeup? Consider yourself lucky! It's normal for them to change their pattern, and normal for them to wake. Eleven hour stretches generally aren't common.

Be aware that cereal can make them wake MORE.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:56 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• my dd did that! she is one now and still wont sleep all night! she wakes up at least once sometimes twice! they change their sleep habits all the time! we just rolled with it and hoped for the best! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 2:51 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Most likely a growth spurt. DD has been sleeping great since about 2 or 3 months, but occasionally wakes in the middle of the night, once or several times. Last night was one of those nights! I chalk it up to teething or growth spurts. I brought her in my room, and she slept fine...she only woke up once more, and it was to eat.
    JustCantWait88

Answer by JustCantWait88 at 7:05 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• my son slept all night long til he was about 4 months... now he is 6months and wakes up 3-5 times just to nurse a little and fall asleep rigth bak... but still its hard to be constatly wake, the lack of continuous sleep... I think thats when he started teething
    kokomaman

Answer by kokomaman at 9:43 PM on Mar. 30, 2011