How can i get my 9 year old autistc son to not tell me when he;s going to the bathroom like he does in school?

Just because he tells his teacher at school that he;s going to the

bathroom it should stop at home.

CareBear87

Asked by CareBear87 at 7:07 AM on Nov. 27, 2008 in General Parenting

• I have an autistic son too, he's 11. I've learned that he needs a lot of extra patience and repetition. I would just say, "ok thank you for letting me know, but at home you don't have to tell me, you can just go." or something similar, but I would say the exact same thing every time. Eventually he may catch on and just go or it may just be one of his "things" and you might have to do like me and just bite your tongue and say "Yes, dear." lol
    WyledBunch

Answer by WyledBunch at 11:09 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I have no idea. I have a son that is NOT autistic and he used to do the same thing. Hopefully, it's just a phase. My son did the same thing for about a year.
    richgirljj

Answer by richgirljj at 11:39 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Is it really that big of deal? Wouldn't you rather have him tell you what he is doing then all of sudden everything get quiet and you wonder what he is up too?
    Anonymous

• My kids aren't autistic, but they all do that too. I think that in my kids case it is because they lived with my parents while I worked as a OTR semi driver for a year and they were forced to say it. I am trying to break the habit with them by letting them know they don't have to let anyone know. I think that there are many reasons kids will do this, and I know that it's irritating but just reassure him. It would seem that this is just a normal thing a lot of kids do - even ones that don't have the challenges that your son has. GL, and God bless this holiday season! Give him lots of love!

Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 3:14 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• What's the big deal? So he tells you that he is going to the bathroom, you are lucky. Do you know how many parents of children with Autism would die to hear their child say anything, or be potty trained? It's Thanksgiving, I'd start counting my blessing if I were you and stop sweating the small stuff.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 3:59 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I worked with a autistic guy from 9yrs to 11yrs. When he did that I just said okay bud don't forget to wash your hands, it;s okay not to tell me unless you have a stomach ach or need clean undies. Just hollar. It was like I was a broken record for three years lol but as long as I tried to say it like it was the first time it was ok if I was irritated he got emotional so good luck with things
    mocamomma22

Answer by mocamomma22 at 2:33 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• my hubbys dd does that
    Mommyholly327

Answer by Mommyholly327 at 1:51 PM on Nov. 29, 2008