Promoting fear?

This is one thing I never understood about Christianity. If God is supposed to be a god of love, then why all the fear?

Are you afraid of not going to Heaven and going to Hell? Are you afraid of God? 

I am not bashing/attacking Christians. I really want to know. I am not that well versed in the other two "mainstream" religions so I am not sure if they promote fear or not. 

SpiritedWitch

Asked by SpiritedWitch at 9:04 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Christ himself did not promote fear......There are so many times in the Bible we are assured , "Do not be afraid".....Honestly, I think people promote fear when they are afraid....and a lot of Christians do seem to be afraid of God...others just seem to want to be part of an elite club and keep others out, and still others use fear to control people....that's not a God thing, though, it's a human thing, invoking God to scare people...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:08 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Not all Christians feel that way and the few vocal ones on here that do seem to be trying to use fear as a converting tactic-
    Is it working- I would think not-
    I also think that there are "fear" mongers on every path-
    Lately, the "religion is the downfall of society and dangerous" crowd has been pretty vocal- using fear to get people to question religion is just as silly as using it to promote religion in my mind-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:08 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Fear is a motivator when people won't be good for its own sake. You can control people if you keep them afraid. Not all Christians use fear tactics on a regular basis though. I grew up going to a mainline Presbyterian church and I don't recall a lot of 'fire and brimstone' talk. Those that do use fear a lot tend to quote more of the OT and twist some of the meanings in the NT (in my opinion anyway). I think they missed the part about how 'LOVE drives out fear'. Also, sometimes the ones that use fear a lot seem to be the most judgmental and hateful (in my experience), so they probably missed the parts about 'not judging' and 'loving our neighbors and enemies' too.

1 John 4:7-21
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:25 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Not all of us believe there is any reason to fear. Sure, there are a good many, but there are also many who don't even believe in hell, who really *do* believe God is all about love and compassion and all of the other things He calls us to be, who realize that Jesus came to expand the circle of inclusiveness and break down dividing lines instead of reinforcing them. This attitude of judgment and fear is something that I know *I* completely disagree with. I prefer to have a much more positive understanding of God, a much more positive grasp on faith.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:16 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• what fear? i was raised in a xtian household, and as an adult, still choose xtianity.
    to quote any random redneck's 4x4 back-window, ''ain't skairt!"
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:21 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I am not afraid of God. Why should I be? I know I am going to heaven and fear did not make me choose to turn to Jesus.

Answer by gemgem at 9:25 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• "religion is the downfall of society and dangerous" crowd

One troll does not make a crowd
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:10 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Have you not seen her new fan club that supports this notion?

No, I saw people of every belief and non-belief working together to shut it down, same as was done to the extremists in the other direction yesterday.  The trolls last shot went so far it was deleted within 20 minutes last night.  That same fate most likely awaits these other two if they don't figure it out soon.  All 3 of them do use the same tactics though - bullying out of their own insecurities.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:27 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• One troll does not make a crowd

Have you not seen her new fan club that supports this notion? Now, I can agree that it may just be her alter-ego coming out to play but if you look there are several that post in support of this non-sense as well as the multiple vote ups on that kind of trash- ;)
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:13 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Have you not seen her new fan club that supports this notion?--

haha..its not a 'new' fan club..its the same ol' militant mommas supporting their new hothead.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:23 AM on Mar. 28, 2011