What do you think of A&F's Padded Bikini Tops for 8-Year Olds?

Have you seen the new padded bikini tops that Abercrombie & Fitch is marketing for 8 year old girls? What do you think? Will you buy one for your 8 year old???

BlandBaby

Asked by BlandBaby at 9:05 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think it's wrong and would never buy one for my 9 yo, but apparently some parents are buying them or they wouldn't be selling them.

Answer by missanc at 9:05 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Disgusting in my opinion. But then I don't want to see young children in a bikini of any kind. We definitely feel that children should be dressed more conservatively.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 9:27 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I don't have an issue with it. My kids love bikinis and don't associate them with being "sexy". I don't understand the problem. I don't view them as being sexy at all. I will let my kids wear anything but a thong.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 9:39 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I havent seen them. My dd wears bikinis and always has. I see nothing wrong with them on their own. I mean if you find anything particularly sexual about a small child in a bikini I think that person has much bigger problems anyway. As for padded, no I dont think I would. I dont see the point in that?

Answer by gemgem at 9:40 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• To me putting a child in a padded top is trying to make them look older and more developed than they are and that is not something I would do. My girls do wear two piece bathing suits, but their bottom pieces are boy's trunks (they both prefer this) and their top pieces are more of a tankini kind of top.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:06 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• @Ashisamom - the issue is that they aren't just your typical bikinis. The top is padded & shaped to give the appearance of "curves" to put it nicely. What 7-12 yr old needs to wear something that makes them look like they have breasts???

But, as far as putting them on the market, if people don't like, then they shouldnt buy them. If the public won't buy them, the store wont be inclined to put them on the shelf again in the future. The consumer has the ultimate control.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:15 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• That's just creepy. Why does an eight year old, need to appear like she has breasts? That's just what we need, one more thing to encourage perverts. No way..
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:17 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Wrong, creepy, way too sexy for an 8 year old. Hopefully no one will buy them and all the stores will lose money. Really who things about making stuff like this for such young children - pedophiles?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:50 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• no! my kids ages 5,4,1 and 4 monthes wear little bikinis but nothig paddwed, that is so wrong!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:04 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Here is an ABC video so you can actaully see the bikin top. http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/padded-bikini-young-girls-sparks-outrage-13227579

specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:05 PM on Mar. 28, 2011