How soon is too soon?

With all the stuff flying around about melamine in infant formula, dh and i are thinking about putting our youngest on whole milk (pretty sure the milk at Giant Eagle isn't imported from China!). I was unable to bf any of our 3 kids or deliver them normally even though my body is shaped like a peasant - big hips, big boobs, plenty of nursing fat! for some reason though nothing inside works right.

Any advice would be good! (and if you post that I screwed up my kids because I couldn't bf, well, then, why don't you come to my house and say it to my face :-)

Have a good Thanksgiving, all!

plylerjones

Asked by plylerjones at 8:10 AM on Nov. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• maybe this will help you feel better about the formula:
    http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1310695/Melamine_in_formula_in_the_USA

I know the docs say 1 year, so if the baby is close to that, like 10-11 months the ped might say it is ok if youare still worried. I really wouldn't be worried, but milk is cheaper I think and more convenient!
    sunmoonstars

Answer by sunmoonstars at 8:24 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• You should really ask your doctor. I know that with my son I followed the no milk until age 1 rule to the letter. Whole milk isn't as fatty as formula, which is why you're supposed to keep your child on it until age one, but as the PP said, if you're close it might be okay. The formula issues are kind of scary!
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 8:37 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• my 1st child was on whole milk at 8 mths. he's just fine and the ped. ok'd it.
    pinkclover

Answer by pinkclover at 8:52 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Cow's milk doesn't have the nutrients that breastmilk or formula has, that are needed for children under 12 months of age. I know that there is some scary stuff going on, but I think it's still in your childs best intrest to recieve formula until at least 12 months. Maybe, if you are very worried, you could look into milk donation, they screen the donors, and you wouldn't have to worry about the formula.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:17 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• If you want to still use formula look for organic formula or something. Otherwise you can look into donor milk like the PP said. There is a group on here that allows families to link up with donors.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 10:05 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I'm am happy to see other people talk about Donor milk! I donated milk earlier this year for a few months and I was so happy to be able to give that gift to someone else. Not sure how it all works since I'm 5'1 less then 100 pounds and have the tiniest boobs ever but I had enough for my DD and enough to donate! If your child is close to a year maybe you could think about Sugar Free Soy Milk (or reduced cant remember what the label says). Hope this helps

megan772

Answer by megan772 at 10:15 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• That is a tough one, since your baby is so young. But I would ask your dr. which I am sure he will give you the dr. explaination of why you should continue to give your baby formula, then you can use your judgement and do what you really think is best for your baby
    lesliebabl

Answer by lesliebabl at 11:06 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• My sister and I usually started our kids on milk around 10 months...you could always try soy milk too.
    ELC

Answer by ELC at 11:48 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I'd talk to your pedi about it - ours cautioned us against milk before 1, as it can lead to anemia. I'm not sure how big a risk it actually is, but fortunately, I was able to nurse Alex and give minimal formula to supplement.

Just talk to your doctor - he or she can give you more information, and you can research it as well! Different things are best for different children after all!
    PrincessZ20

Answer by PrincessZ20 at 12:22 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• my 10 month old is on milk...i give her a pediasure in the morning and at night before bed.
    lovinmyseabee

Answer by lovinmyseabee at 1:37 PM on Nov. 27, 2008