Kid in College Early?

Ok, I am just wondering what you moms would do. Let's say you have a girl who just turned 17 last month and she is already a sophmore in college because you let her take classes at the local community college while in high school. But now she is commuting back and forth to a regular 4 year college with a car that she paid for half of (you paid the other half as a graduation present). Would you allow her to go to parties at the college or the other one nearby? If not, would you go as far as calling the cops or safety and security on her to drag her back home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Nov. 27, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• She'd still be my daughter and only 17 years old. No I wouldn't allow her to go to those parties. She's underage.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:29 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Hmmm....I think that you obviously have raised her to make smart decisions. If you hold her back now she'll go wild once she's out of your house. I would just let her know that you trust her and give her a curfew. If she isn't home by her curfew time then punish her.
    vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 9:29 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Thank you ladies for your answers. I asked because I was the daughter in this situation and was wondering what other moms would've done. My mom pushed me throughout school so I could go to college early and told me all these stories of how she went to college parties when she was still in high school yet I had the cops called on me when I wanted to go and was in college. She still says I was just being a whiny teenager for wanting to be treated like any other college student.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• would let her do her own thing, but it's one strike and you're out. if she messes up at a college party, she's done with them until 18.

but i think there is not much difference in college parties vs. high school parties.
    (as far as "activities")
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:34 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• It sounds like she is managing her life pretty well. You should trust her own judgements, and you just make sure she calls you whenever she needs help. Good communication, ask her where is the party and have fun.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 2:48 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• she sounds smart and mature for her age. I was in college young too and knew the difference between what was right and wrong. She has to make these decisions soon anyway. Have faith in how you have trained her. She will be fine.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:00 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Absolutely no parties. She is academically able to handle the college pressures and that is very good! She could not be ready to handle the social/sexual pressures of a college crowd night scene.
    Gingersmom1979

Answer by Gingersmom1979 at 11:06 PM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I would let my kids party but only at home with me so that I could supervise them and make sure no one drives.

Anonymous

• You might remind her that she needs to be careful since she is underage...if she messes up and the police get involved her being underage could get her over 18 buddies into trouble for contributing to the delinquency of a minor and that could ruin their lives...just a thought...
    malam

Answer by malam at 2:22 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• She is your daughter and a minor. Under age drinking is illegal no matter what the circumstances. I would make sure I knew who her friends were and where she was at all times. I would remind the college she is a minor. Seems very smart but maybe now wanting to grow up a wee bit too fast.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 6:55 PM on Nov. 30, 2008