How do i convince my husband it is ok for our son to sleep in his own room?

My son is just over 4 months old. He sleeps in his cradle in our bedroom. I wake up to every little sound that my son makes but my husband does not. My husband and I both work full time jobs and need as much sleep as we can get. Two months ago our pediatrician informed us we could put our son in his own room for the night. At that point I agreed with my husband that we didnt want to put him in his room just yet. He sleeps in his room for naps now but my husband still wont leave him there over night. When I put him down for the night I put him in his own room in his crib. But when my husband comes to bed he takes him out of his crib and places him in the cradle in our room. I have asked him repeatedly to not do this and to let him just sleep in his own room. I dont know what to do. I feel that my sleep would improve if he slept in his own room. I also think that my husband is disturbing our sons sleep when he moves him. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

barbie.s

Asked by barbie.s at 9:24 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How sweet is that? I agree with you that your son needs to and is ready to sleep in his room. How sweet that hubby is having separation anxiety. Remind Daddy that you will have more privacy too! *wink*
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 9:27 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• At 4 months was when wwe moved DS to his room. The first night I slept on the floor and the 2nd night DH did. It can be nerve racking just to move the LO to the next room. We knew we had to because his bassanet was to small and he wasn't sleeping well. I'm sure DS is just nervous. Maybe sit down and tell him that it is better for the baby and the both of you. You guys will get better sleep and so will LO. Maybe he can sleep in there a couple nights with your baby, just to calm his nerves.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 9:30 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• It's tough because oftentimes we don't think of the men being the ones so attached and keeping them in our rooms, but my husband very much kept our baby in the room (and he also woke up for every little sound). I kept telling him it's okay if she goes in her crib, and finally at NINE MONTHS he was ready. I didn't push him too much. But since you need a good night sleep for work, that's a game changer. Can you compromise and wear some ear plugs and agree that by a certain time your baby will be headed off to his own room? That way you can get a good night sleep and he can work towards a specific date? Good luck to you on this.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 9:30 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Yea you need to put your foot down with this one, it's not right that he will move him after he is already in bed. Get a monitor and tell him it's jut as good as having the baby in your room. Insist that he must not move him.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 9:30 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• It is sweet that he has so much intrest in the new baby, but he also needs to understand that parents have needs to and when urs comes back and his aswell you will not want the baby in the room, made that mistake with my first child and took me until she was 5 to get he in her own room, I now have 3 so did not repeat but just let him know you could have a kid in the room for the next 5 yrs! Means no mommy and daddy time alone!
    jenn2bowman

Answer by jenn2bowman at 9:31 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Do you have monitors? Assuring him that you can hear what's going on at all times w/out him being in the room, might help him. Or you could go drastic. Dress up in your sexiest lingerie and say, "You gets none of this, until he's spending his nights in his room" LOL. YOu may want to choose your words differently. Maybe appealing to his manly-ness may help? :)
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 9:41 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• If it were my husband, and the baby woke me up but not him when he put the baby in the same room, I'd tell him that since the baby didn't wake him up that you'd help him out by nudging him when the baby woke you up so that he could wake up and figure out if the baby needed something and you could sleep. Of course this wouldn't be the same as the baby in another room, but your husband would get the message.

Answer by Bmat at 9:42 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Make hubs a little pallet/bed on the floor in the baby's room and let him stay there until he feels more comfortable. He'll be joining you real soon!
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:12 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Tell your husband if he's that nervous to sleep in the baby's room. That way the baby isn't disturbed and neither are you. Otherwise, next time he does get up and go sleep on the couch.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:31 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I'm like you I can't sleep when my son is sleeping int he same room with us because he makes too much noise and I'm a light sleeper. At first I don't want to put my son to sleep in his own room, but hubby wants him to and so glad he did. My son is 4 months and sleeps perfectly fine by himself in his room. I don't know if you already have this but get a baby monitor that your hubby can check on him all the time, it works really well. It might be a little hard at the beginning to get use to, but it's awesome when everyone get adjusted to it. Just talk to your hubby or put them in seperate room with a baby monitor lol. Hope everything works out for you :)
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 28, 2011