USDA National School Lunch Program. Do public schools send parents the food menu to monitor what their children eat at school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Every school my kids have gone to (2 different public schools and a Catholic school) have sent menus home so we know what they are serving. My kids have been on the free lunch program at ever school.
    The school they are at this year (public) is by far the best. They have 4 options for lunch every day and have a FREE veggie/fruit bar. It's FREE to everyone in the school no matter if they buy, bag it or get free/reduced lunches from the government. My kids say they get fruit every day from it along with their lunch which usually comes with some kind of veggie.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:44 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I dont know? We get a calendar of events and on the back is the lunch menu. I usually look at it and see what day of the week dd wants to eat at school. She only likes certain things they serve.

Answer by gemgem at 9:31 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• we get a food menu monthly but stepdaughter packs her lunch anyways (public schools) and even when i was in school we always got the lunch menu
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 9:32 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Ours does. They aim for a very healthy and try and use local ingredients when possible. There's also sooo many choices!
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 9:32 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• ours is posted weekly in the newspaper, as is all the surrounding school districts/schools.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:33 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I am not 100% sure the meaning of your question.

I think they send a menu for 2 reasons.... one is just for the child to look forward and know what they'll be eating and #2 so if there's an obvious allergen the parent can send a bag lunch that day

If a parent does any real monitoring of the input that goes into their child's body it's highly unlikely they allow them to eat a USDA school lunch on a regular basis.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:35 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• They send home the whole upcoming month's menu a few days before the month starts.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 9:35 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• We get a menu but I didn't know what DD was picking from that menu. I had a fit when she missed lunch to make up a test. She's underweight by a good 20 pounds.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:35 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• yes, we get a calendar, it's on the website and in the newspaper.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:36 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Yes they send it home. My kids always eat hot lunch.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 9:37 AM on Mar. 28, 2011