My husband wants to force kids to eat

my husband makes our kids sit at the table untill they eat all their food. our youngest 4 oldest 11. he was raised like that i wasn't. i can see making them eat some or most if they want snack but i don't like forcing them to eat things they don't like or overstuffing them. we're always arguing over this. anyone have an opinion? or what do you do w/your kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• i dont agree with making them eat more than they can.. but if is enforcing them sitting at the table and eating ( a good amount at least) i dont see a problem with that.. it just teaches good manners.. if hes forcing the to eat more than they can handle thats not ok... i make my kids sit at the table and make sure they eat at least half of whats on their plate.. if they choose to eat more ( yea right lol ) thats fine too but they dont get to run around during meal times
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 10:04 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I have always gone off what I was told by my girls pedi. I was told you choose when they eat, they choose how much they eat. My daughters know that if they do not at least eat half, they get no snacks until after the next meal. It works well for us. I do not agree with the force them to eat. I tried it once with my oldest and she threw up all over the place because I tried to get her to eat something she didn't like. I wouldn't recommend it.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:58 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I think it promotes bad eating habits. No one should be forced to eat everything on their plate. What if they are full? What kind of message is that sending to them? That they should eat even if they are full? It can promote imo obesity. Second we all have foods we just dont like, and that is ok. The earth wont stop spinning if my dd doesnt eat the tomatoes in her salad, or if my son doesnt eat all of his broccoli.

Answer by gemgem at 9:44 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Oh no, they should not be made to eat after they are full, that's training them to overeat. When they are done, usually you can refrigerate the food and reheat or serve again instead of a snack. But really I'd give them much smaller portions, and still only snacks of food that they would have at meals, such as veggie sticks, fruit, cheese, dried fruit.

Answer by Bmat at 9:45 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• well if it's an age appropriate serving size for a 4 y/o than I guess it doesn't seem so awful..... and letting them serve themselves to a point. Is it a waste issue? Take all you can eat but eat all you take
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:44 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• my parents did it to me and I spent many nights sleeping AT the table because I just didnt want to eat. My kids eat and then we will tell them to eat so many more bites and they can get down.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:44 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• it depends on the reason he won't eat. if he's not hungry, its different. if he's just wanting to get back to playing/etc, we will make him eat a good portion of his meal. (even i don't eat the entire meal, usually!)
    the only meal we stress staying/eating is dinner, as that's the only time all three of us are together daily for a meal, and we like to use this time as family discussion/coming together/etc. it also keeps us from snorting down the meal too fast! lol!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:48 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• not ok
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 9:50 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My husband is on this kick too! As long as they are getting enough during the day I don't worry about it. I am now putting smaller portions on his plate. It is easier to give seconds! I am hoping my hubby stops stirring this pot.
    ebcooks

Answer by ebcooks at 9:55 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I don't think you really can force a kid to eat. DD is 20 lb underweight and sometimes I do with there was a way. We do have a rule that you need to make a good effort - especially if you want dessert. I also try to get them to have 2 servings of fruit or veggies every day.

Clean plates teach/encourage overeating.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:57 AM on Mar. 28, 2011