Insomnia in my almost 3 year old DD

My ODD (3.5 months shy of 3) has bad insomnia... It runs in my family (my mom, me, my brother, my aunt-mom's sister, my uncle-mom's brother, my cousins, etc). ODD will still up til midnight or later sometimes... Right now, it's 11pm my time (I'm in Japan) and she is still wide awake. Any ideas on how to help her?

laird6372

Asked by laird6372 at 9:52 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• What time does she get up? Try getting her up an hour earlier than usuaul for 1 week, then increase it by another 1/2 hr. If u want her to go to bed at an earlier time u need to get her up earlier each day. And keep getting her up at the new time each day. Kids work best on a schedule. if u r changing everything from day to day it throws them off all the time. Keep a schedule, for your sanity & your childs. Schedule bedtimes, meals & bathes for the same time. does she take naps? Maybe cut them down to 1 hour if they r 2 hrs. Also, schedule naptime so it is not past 3 pm in the afternoon. This way she will be sleepier earlier in the pm. Good luck. if that doesnt work, ask your pediatrician.
    deniselvt

Answer by deniselvt at 5:20 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Cut out her nap if she is getting one. I have to give my 3-1/2 year old son a herbal/homeopathic sleep aide or he won't fall asleep either. Its from Native remedies - Serenite Jr - Good luck
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:59 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Ask a Dr. first but I have heard parents giving their kids melatonin to help them sleep or you can google about melatonin and how much to give
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 10:56 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• She wakes up around 730am every day, and she doesn't nap during the day. She didn't fall asleep til after midnight last night, and was still up at 730. We do have a set time for everything (my son doesn't like change, so we have a routine that we do daily in the house). The only time she actually goes to bed on time is when she's sick :(

Insomnia runs in our family, and I was hoping that by the time it "hit her", she'd atleast be a teen or adult (which is when it hit me).
    laird6372

Comment by laird6372 (original poster) at 7:25 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• i have a few family members with the same problem, they went to the dr for there kids about it and the dr put there kids on medicine for this and now they sleep all night.
    motherof33333

Answer by motherof33333 at 8:56 AM on Mar. 29, 2011