Do you follow the guidelines on toys when they say 2+, 5+, ect.?

Namaste17

Asked by Namaste17 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• not always... unless it has tiny pieces.. but even then i just throw them out
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 9:56 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• only if i'm using it as a tactic not to buy an overpriced toy. lol!! i'm pretty famous for saying, ''jack, that toy is for 7-14yos.''..when its too pricey..and he 'buys' that reasoning.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:57 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• That's a good idea dullscissors! I think I am going to use that. lol.
    Namaste17

Comment by Namaste17 (original poster) at 9:58 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• well, judgement day is coming, OP...he's huge into Legos, and once he is 7..i'm in trouble!!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:04 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I used to buy according to the age on the box and if I thought it was educational enough. But that has been a long time.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 10:04 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Yes and no, i looks for toys i think the kids will enjoy and understand the meaning of how. My oldest DD gets the learning laptops at the store, she goes through those like most of us do candy.. so we just move to the next one. but for a new toy for a friend's kid or family member (other than my kids) i do keep it with-in the age range
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:05 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• More when it's for a toddler and the parts too small for children under 3 warning is an issue. Aside from that, not so much.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:08 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• when she was a baby i did... but once she got out of the "mouthy" stage.. i now just use common sense
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:08 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• For my 1st I followed things pretty much to a T. lol. (New mommy jitters, I guess) Now I have 4, and for the most part I just go on if I feel my kids is ready for it. Since my 2 y/o, brings half his toys downstairs, and then my 9 m/o gets them, I'm a bit more careful. But I've found that the age things aren't always on course w/ my kids. Some things say they are good for babies/ toddlers, etc. but I feel they are too advanced, and vice versa.
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 10:12 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Not always, but when deciding what to buy my oldest I have to consider "if my little one gets a hold of this, is it going to be a problem"
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:25 AM on Mar. 28, 2011