Mixed family and rules

me and my husband have 4 kids together he had 2 kids with someone else they live with us because there mom passed away 2 1/2 years ago. my problem is we're always fighting because he lets those two get away with everything because he feels bad about there mom. i understand but i think it's been long enough and they should have to follow the rules like our other 4 have to, it's not fair to them either everyone's lives had to change. do you think it's been long enough?

wells2811

Asked by wells2811 at 10:10 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• there is no "long enough" disciline should never leave for any reason! You can still be understanding while being an adult and parent!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:15 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I think all children benefit from structure and some rules. I think a child is happier if they know what is expected of them. My stepson really didn't have any type of rules or even a schedule when I married my husband. Now that he knows what is not acceptable, has a bedtime, some rules to follow he seems more confident, happier and more at ease in his home. Hope that helps, and good luck to you. I know how tough it is to be in a blended family.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 10:14 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Make a list of rules and consequences. Post for all to see INCLUDING HUBS. Then you must be willing and able to follow thru. be consistent. Take control and take charge, don't let hubs allow this obvious difference in treatment to continue, it isn't good for any of the children.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:34 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I understand where he is coming from and it seems like you do too, but it's not going to do these kids any favors in the long run to exempt them from having to follow rules because they lost their mom. I can understand cutting them slack on emotional responses and attitudes because of that, but they still need to follow the rules at home and at school.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:33 AM on Mar. 28, 2011