Should a 2 1/2 year old know their abc's and 123's

My daughter will be 3 in August and my Mom thinks she should know more of her letters and numbers by now. Is this right? My daughter can recognize some of them and can most of the time count to 5. She is a bit mixed up on her colors, should she be able to recognize a lot of those as well. Should I be focusing on teaching her more of them? if so, what is the best way to teach her at this age? Any specific products?

Kelly502

Asked by Kelly502 at 10:11 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• know all of their abc's and 123's well then i better get in gear. my 2.5 yo can count to 3 and sometimes if i prompt it she will do 678 or 8910 but never all together. and she will not for the life of me say more than abc. and she loves the word purple so i cant get her to say anything else. i wouldnt worry about it. shes a child let her be a child you dont need to cram all this stuff down her. its not like she is going into kindergarten tomorrow. i just let my kids be kids people nowdays i feel are so eager for their kids too grow up too fast and want to shove so much educational stuff at them before they have even had a chance to have fun. right now they should be exploring the world around them and expanding their imagination more than anything.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:19 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My son knew both before 3 but it wouldn't have concerned me if he didn't. He learned alot from a toy laptop he has. It's the Fisher Price Color Splash one.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 10:14 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• what are they supposed to teach in kindergarten if not all that? yes it is nice for a child to know all of that information (my 2 year-old does) but dont rush their education beyond where their peers are. We got sesame street, blues clues and several other shows giving her a hand with their toys (we dont do much TV). just got for what you think, check the what to expect the toddler years book (my bible) and enjoy your child being young while they are still little.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:14 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• i wouldnt worry .. different kids learn at different speeds...shell get it
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 10:15 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• No, you shouldn't be worried. My DS can recognize all of his letters, colors, and shapes at almost 4, and he had an eval at the school the other day that placed him at a Kindergaten level due to knowing it all. I think as long as the kids know them by Kindergarten, they will be fine. My ODD is almost 3 and only recognizes a few letters, a few shapes, a few colors, and no numbers.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 10:17 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I seriously recommend the LeapFrog DVD The Letter Factory.  I posted a question similar to this and was saved by a woman who suggested it, lol.  LeapFrog also has other DVDs to help with numbers. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 10:18 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My 2 1/2 yr old cannot recoginize abc's yet but she can say them in order and count to 15. She knows basic colors red, pink, yellow, blue, brown.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:18 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I know all kids learn at their own pace but my son knew them when he was 2. He was sounding letters also. I'm not saying this to be a jerk, but he was reading at 3. He is 5 and reads 3rd grade books now. But I read when I was 3 also, it was the social skills we needed a little help with!!

Each kid is different. Why not get some flash cards or fun workbooks and do them with your little one?
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 10:15 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I just meant in my answer that I wasn't trying to toot my own horn or anything. I didn't mean to come off that way in the slightest. I fully believe kids learn at their own pace - motor skills, academics, socialization. If you are concerned, you can just get tools to help her along, or play games in the car with her (like say bingo when you see a red car or a green light, etc). It's up to you, mama.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 10:18 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Thank you all for your helpful comments. She has a Leapfrog Laptop and countless letter and number books and some blocks. I guess I will stop worrying about it so much. I will just keep trying to help her and let her progress at her own speed. I feel better about it now, thanks.
    Kelly502

Comment by Kelly502 (original poster) at 10:20 AM on Mar. 28, 2011