Do you think it is wrong that some parents don't place their children in preschool?

Instead parents wait for their children to be 5yo or 6yo to start school.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Nope, not wrong. Heck, when my dad was a kid they didn't even have kindergarten. He started school at 6 in the 1st grade. Never had a moment of schooling before that. And that was normal. In IL kindergarten isn't even required. Kids don't technically have to start school until they are 6 or 7.
    My son never went to preschool. We couldn't afford it and made too much for Head Start (which was literally right down stairs from us in the same building). My youngest dd went to preschool at 3 (2 days a week, 2 hours each week) but didn't this year at 4. Her teachers thought she was ready for preschool last spring when she just turned 4 but had to wait another year. We moved and can't afford preschool so she didn't go. She's excited to start kindergarten in the fall.
    Oh, and my son is in the 3rd grade now and doing just fine.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:40 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Nope, as long as their parents teach them what they need at home and they interact with other children some of the time. It's completely up to the parent.
    kayalouise

Answer by kayalouise at 10:17 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Why on earth would it be wrong?
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:18 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• i dont think its wrong... i think it is better for the child to start their education early and also social skills .. but some parents dont have the time or money to put their child in preschool.. i have my ds in nursery school right now and hes learned so much already but every situation is different
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 10:17 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• no..what's wrong with waiting? i never went to preK and i turned out just fine.

(as a fulltime working mother, our ds's childcare progressed into preK, so it was a non-issue.)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:18 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• No I don't think it's wrong. I would have loved to do so, but when I went to put her in to pre k, they told me they were full and couldn't take anymore kids. I thought that was really unfair. So I paid like $600 a month for pre school and had to stop because I couldn't afford it. But she has been evaluated and they saiy she's perfectly ready for kindergarten.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:28 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• to each their own, personally I am pissed that my ex dh didn't allow our now 5 year-old into preK because she would have enjoyed it so much!! I just feel like we robbed her of something special. I dont care if others send their kids or not and dont judge them either way but my other kids i want to send..
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:18 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Not wrong. We do have freedoms in the good ole US of A.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:21 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• As long as the parents are teaching their child at home all they will need to know before entering Kindergarten and making sure that their kids have proper socialization skills, no, I don't see a problem with it.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:22 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My DD did not attend school but was taught her numbers to 20, her name, how to write the alphabet and say the letters, and her colors. She even knew our address and phone number.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 10:23 AM on Mar. 28, 2011