Question about Unitarian Universalist Church

As you know, I am pagan and a witch. I do not follow one set religion. Interestingly, I am ordained through Universal Life Church.

I am wondering if this would be a good place to attend to learn more about other religions. I have read book after book and you can only get so much from books. 

Does anyone have experience with this kind of church? I think I have seen some of you mention it but I can't remember. 

SpiritedWitch

Asked by SpiritedWitch at 10:19 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Here's a link to their principles page that lists some of their teaching sources. All of our local UUA churches have their own websites too, so maybe see if there is one close to you with more specific information for that particular location.

UUA: Principles
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:36 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• UU churches vary slightly depending on your area. Most are based on of Christian Universalist standpoints (One god many paths) but openly welcome differing faiths etc. Some have "Study groups" where you do learn more about other religions in depth and how thhye are applied to the UU beliefs. You'll get good basic info but it won't delve too in detail about customs and practices of other beliefs, just the overview of what those beliefs are
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:29 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I grew up knowing a Universal Life Church Minister. In my limited knowledge, I think their beliefs are much like your own as a pagan/witch. I do not think they teach about other belief systems. I took a few comparative religion classes at the local community college and loved it. Good luck on your journey,
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 10:29 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• The biggest benefit in your case is the congregation as it will be made up of many different religions and you can ask actual people about their beleifs
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:30 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I think I've seen a few answers from people who attend UUA churches, and I know I (and a few others) have mentioned that we are very interested in visiting one. My uncle and aunt attend one in Ohio (he's a post-theist/post-Christian and she's a Buddhist), so it's a great place for both of them to go together and feel their beliefs are accepted. It's my understanding that they teach from many religions and philosophies, including nature based religious teachings. We have one about an hour from us, but we haven't gone yet. I wish we had one in our town--we have almost every other church you can think of here.

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:31 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Oh yeah, my husband got ordained through Universal Life Church as well. He's actually performed a couple marriage ceremonies for some friends. :-)
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:32 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I mentioned going to my hubby and he asked me "who was I and what had I been drinking". LOL 

That's what I thought it was, but I wasn't sure. Reading over their website, I discovered that the chairman of the membership committe is also involved with Friends of the Library with me, so I may chat her up about it. 

Thanks again ladies!

Pam ... I found out that I can do that too!! I offered to perform my niece's ceremony for her. =)

SpiritedWitch

Comment by SpiritedWitch (original poster) at 10:38 AM on Mar. 28, 2011