How can I help my son (just turned 3) talk better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i had both my boys in speech ..which worked so much. my son started when he was 23 months.. right now he is 26 months.. he went from saying 2 words to repeating everything and talking on his own!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 10:47 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I often see parents (not necessarily you) do everything for their children before the kids ask or they respond to a grunt and don't repeat what the child is clearly asking for. Just repeat everything you are doing for your child "Mommy is making you a sliced banana, can you say banana?" it might sound stupid but it really helps in the end. Point out favorite toys by their name, pick out colors or random objects to your child and whatever you do, do NOT use baby talk (duh)
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:50 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Read books and engage him in conversation, just talk about anything.. you know if you see he is playing just start asking him questions about what he is doing and even in the car talk about the ABC'S or count together
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 10:52 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• speech therapy , READ to them daily
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 10:54 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I talk constantly all day long with my child no matter what I am doing. If I am doing housework I say "Look Lilly I am putting away the dishes, what are you doing? Maybe you can play with trucks, or animals" Just keep talking. The more words you say a day to your child the better they will become. Another thing I have always done is repeat after my child so when she says "one two three" I repeat the word after her so she can hear it the correct way.

My daughter turned 3 in december & has perfect speech pretty much. I believe its because I did talk so much, downside to this is that now she never shuts up haha
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 11:23 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• perfect speech at 3? i feel like my son is far from that.. is she in preschool or anything
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Ours spent 2 1/2 years in speech therapy
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:54 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• i know what you mean op. my daughter is very smart but has a hard time with speech because her jaw and teeth aren't properly alligned, causing her to have problems. but like others said constant talking to them helps.. when they say something repeat it back always. them when you heard a word they stumbled over break it down for them. my daughts two worst words are triangle and rectangle.. so we break it down to say.. "tri-ang-le" sometimes slowing and breaking it down really helps.

Mel: while some kids are great at speech, child with speech problems have them for all different reasons. the least common being neglect from the parents end.

there are mouth formation issues, learning disabilities, or simply them not knowing how to create the proper sounds with their mouth.

I know a lot of kids i grew up with with speech problems, none of which were due to parents not talking enough.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:57 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Read, read, and read. Also, don't speak to him like he's a child or use baby talk or overly simplified language. Use the same vocabulary you'd use in interactions with everyone else in your life. If he says something incorrectly, don't correct him by saying, "No, we say ___." Just correct it in what you are saying back to him. Repeating what he just said in the proper way does wonders with kids that age. You may have to limit certain TV shows if he mimics their improper communication. (The big one here is Max and Ruby. Max speaks in one word commands, which I don't find appropriate communication.) Also, give him a chance to answer and speak for himself. If he is pointing at his cup, wait until he asks for a drink before responding.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 12:57 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I was worried about my son's speech when he was 3. I took him to be tested, and he tested very normal for a boy. Have you had yours tested yet? Does he NEED help?

And what most of the other ladies suggested...talk, talk, and more talk. Get him to talking and responding to what you say.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 12:16 AM on Mar. 29, 2011