For the homebirthers. What was your experience like?

Did you have a midwife there or go with just family and friends?  What was it like?  Would you do it again? What, if anything, would you change?

MrsHouston47302

Asked by MrsHouston47302 at 10:46 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Well, houston...I was in the middle of making supper and my water broke, so I stopped and pushed out the baby, and hurried back so my roast didn't burn! lol lol lol

I really wish I could have done a home birth. Too high risk actually. But my aunt did, and her oldest son was there and her husband. It was very low key.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:57 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I had a midwife attended homebirth and it was amazing! I really don't think I would change anything. My midwife was very hands off and let me labor and birth how I wanted. There were no VE's done and very minimal heart tone checks. Most of the time she sat out in the living room with her assistant while I labored in the birth pool. Ok so maybe one thing I would have done differently; I would have made sure my water heater could fill up the birth pool. DH and midwife ended up boiling water to fill it up! lol
    imransgal

Answer by imransgal at 10:52 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I had a homebirth with a midwife. It was wonderful. She knew I wanted to labor with just my husband so she and her assistant stayed in the other room until we called her when I started pushing. I knew that what we talked about during our prenatal visits were going to be respected while I was laboring. This was my second homebirth with a midwife. My first was at my midwife's home. The best part is not leaving home :) and being able to take my baby and go get in my bed and sleep.
    The only thing I would do differently is doing a trial run of filling the birth pool, because when it came time to fill it up, we couldn't get it attached, so I didn't get a waterbirth.
    Would I do it again? For sure. I have never seen an OB for a baby nor had one in a hospital and I don't plan on changing my trend ;)
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 10:57 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My 4th birth was my first home birth. We had a very good midwife and her assistant in attendence. It was much more comfortable and convenient to bring my medical care to me than to pack up our whole family to go to the hospital for it. My midwife was very competent and well-prepared and made sure my husband and I were well-prepared too. I wouldn't have changed anything. I do have one piece of advice for a first time homebirther, which is to think about aftercare. If your husband is hands-on and nurturing and willing to take care of you (and your relationship is comfortable enough that you are both ok with him doing things like helping you get on and off the toilet, etc) that is wonderful. My husband was terrific. Talk to your midwife about the care you will need in the first 24-48 hours and discuss with your husband if you are both comfortable with that. If not, you may want to consider a post-partum doula.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:02 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I had a midwife attended homebirth with my last one. Loved it and would definitely do it again!
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 12:13 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I had a midwife attended homebirth and it was incredible. I can't imagine birthing any other way. My midwife was also very hands off and just let me and my husband do our thing. I also had a water birth and really enjoyed the water, it was very relaxing. The only thing I would change is to not have my mom and best friend there. I wouldn't really change it for my last birth I liked having them there but next time I want a more intimate experience with my husband. Oh I would also do a breast crawl when we got out of the tub, I think it's so amazing the instincts that babies have!
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 11:12 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My first was a drug-free (no meds, no pitocin, no IV) hospital birth, and my second was a homebirth. I would never plan a healthy pregnancy in a hospital again. :)

squish

Answer by squish at 4:36 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• i live a stones throw (Literally) from a nice hospital. i hope to try a HBAC next baybeee.... sounds like lots of awesome experiences from people
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:05 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I have only been to them (and to births in other settings)-- but not had my own.
    Comparing the different locations: Home is the nicest by far!!
    :-D
    And since it's so safe and gentle and better attended, it's a world of difference.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:11 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• hahahaha! Houston! Someone doesn't get our relationship! lol lol lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:47 PM on Mar. 28, 2011