How long do you make your kids stay in their rooms at naptime before you just let them out?

Do you just make them stay there until they take their nap or do you left them come out after a set amount of time?

zoejains_momma

Asked by zoejains_momma at 10:54 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• I required my oldest to stay in for an hour of quiet time. She had to play quietly but she didn't have to nap. She was 2 and refused to nap and I had 2 younger kids that needed to sleep. Not to mention I needed a break with 3 kids under 3. That became my standard. They had to be quiet for an hour. The middle 2 always fell asleep before the hour was up, lol. If they weren't quiet the hour got reset (depending on their age...like at 4 I'd start over...they knew how to be quiet at that age). It wasn't really an issue, though.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:02 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• for my 3.5 yr old if hes playing quietly in his room for about an hr or so and then asks to come out ill let him out.. but ill usually try to give it about an hr if they dont sleep before i pull them out
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 10:58 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I just let them get up when they wanted to. I don't think I ever made them stay in their room if they didn't want to...
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 11:02 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• About an hr. But that is if they do not take a nap and are quiet when in there. If they are loud I tell them that they will have to stay in there longer.
    jnb71584

Answer by jnb71584 at 11:02 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My kids have 2 hours of quiet time in the afternoon. I don't care if they sleep or play in their rooms as long as they are quiet, 9 times out of 10 they do end up taking a nap. I know some of my friends with non nappers will do a movie during quiet time especially if they have little ones that do nap and the older ones just need to be quiet.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 11:04 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My 3yo stays in her room about an hour and a half if she doesn't nap. She's good at entertaining herself with looking through her books and singing.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:04 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• we don't have nap time we have quiet time. where EVERYONE lays down. not tv, no radio, nothing that makes noise. and we lay down for a hour. most the time the younger kids will fall asleep, the older one will usually just relax, and for mommy it's a wonderful silent break.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 11:05 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My son still needs an hour of nap time. I set the timer for 45 minutes and if he is not sleeping by the time it pings he may get up out of bed. He has always fell asleep waiting for that timer to go off. Then I just let him sleep for as long as he needs to.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:51 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• i don't send mine to her room for nap. we have a quiet time of one hour. if she naps, great, if not, i just know to get her to bed a half hour earlier
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:58 AM on Mar. 28, 2011