Kind of a question/kind of a rant- baby registries and showers.

So because we have family in NW Illinois, Chicago and Michigan and NO ONE wants to travel we have to drag my pregnant butt all over the Midwest for baby showers in a car that probably won't make it through the summer.

Fine- I can get over that. They are throwing me showers and that is very nice of them.

Two showers down- we received nothing that was on our registries. OK. Fine. But at the showers everyone complained at me about how they all went to Target and couldn't find the registry....we didn't register at Target and we made very sure to tell everyone that. We registered on Amazon (for those that wanted to do internet shopping) and at Babies R Us because these same people told us that's where we HAD to register. Plus- I don't like Target. I don't like the company and I don't like what they carry in terms of baby stuff.

So I have spent the last 2 months researching things that I would really want for my baby, pricing them out and checking them over and over again to make sure we had everything ready and easy for people...then they don't even read what is on the shower invitations to where we are registered or bother calling us when they can't pull up our registry!

WHY?!

Not to sound ungrateful- they got us some very nice things. I just feel like I have wasted a ton of energy and time.

Rant over. Thanks for reading.

meandrphoto

Asked by meandrphoto at 11:04 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Been there and done that! with my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies, when ppl would ask where are you registered or what do you want, I would just say we are having a boy and surprise me. It worked a lot better, and I actually got most of the stuff that really wanted. G'luck and congrats on the little one on the way :o)
    kdunker

Answer by kdunker at 11:10 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I would feel the same way. But no suggestions for you, sorry. Only thing I can think of, is to return the stuff you don't like and get stoare credit to use for other things....or save it to get baby needs later.
    isaboo22

Answer by isaboo22 at 11:10 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• That's a bummer, but be grateful for what you got, and the fact that you are getting so many showers. In all honesty, There are NOT MANY Babies R Us stores in the Chicago area. Unless you live in Schaumburg, Vernon Hills, or Algonquin, you don't live by one. That may be why few people took from that registry. As for amazon.com, many just don't shop online.

Like the PP said, return anything you won't use and get what you need. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I understand completely, when I had my last pregnancy I spent hours doing a gift registery and got nothing from the list but I did get some great things but it was such a waste of time and energy to do the registery
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 11:19 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• be happy you got what you did.. my family is small so i bought a lot of the things for my first and second kid.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:04 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Thank you, everyone for your response.

Like I said- I don't mean to sound ungrateful. Just had so many people ream it down my throat that the registry was such a big deal just for it to be ignored. Like- here's all of this busy work! then as soon as you finish and have all of these expectations- Fooled you! It doesn't matter anyway!

Maybe I'm just crabby from not having a weekend to relax or get anything else done that I need to to prepare for baby for 4 weeks in a row and then having to sit in a car for 6 hours in my last trimester.

meandrphoto

Comment by meandrphoto (original poster) at 12:48 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I had such an annoying experience with my first child and baby showers. (Everyone insisted on having their own shower for us, so we ended up with 5 showers.) If I had to do it all over again, I would have just said, "Here is when our shower is. For those that cannot come, here is where you can buy online and have things shipped to us if you'd rather." Virtual baby showers have gotten much bigger in the last few years with friends and family living so far apart. I wish I would have done that and saved myself all the baby shower stress. It is extremely frustrating to deal with unwanted baby gifts. You don't want to seem ungrateful, but you clearly pick the items you like that fit your taste and needs. Dealing with the unwanted stuff is such a hassle. Do you return it, suck it up and use it, or just give it to someone else?
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 12:50 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Well maybe your family and friends think they know of better things to get you that you dont already know about. Is this your first child ? It happened to me also. My own dad didnt even look...instead he got me a random stroller. My mother got me the stroller on my registry, I will give ya two guesses which one went back. Sorry honey.
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 2:27 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• oh im there with you...everyone kept saying where are you registered when is your shower what do you really need and want...well i registered at walmart target babies r us and i got tons and tons of baby bath lotions and crap...nothing i registered for at all...now honestly if they werent going to use the registry thats fine they could have just gotten me gift cards instead of the stuff i had to take back and get a gift card with anyway...plus one person bought a bunch of stuff at walmart like diapers( a brand i didnt even list anywhere because i am sensitive to stuff and i was allergic to them myself) and clothes and bottles i didnt register for..i cant take that crap back and get what i need because they opened them even the diapers!!!! i am sooo thankful for what people did get me but when you list where you are registered on the invitation its probably a good idea to use it as a tool for buying a gift...it will all be okay
    ahsot1230

Answer by ahsot1230 at 3:29 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• oh and dont worry i dont think you sound ungrateful because i get it...you do spend a lot of time deciding what you really want and what you are going to need and use and when the people who wanted to know what was on your registry dont even use it when you know they could have it really bothers you that you even tried to help them out...if im lucky enough to get pregnant again im honestly going to tell everyone especially if the next one is a girl..just give me a gift card and dont worry about a gift at all cuz i dont need baby bath and shampoo i need the essentials like bottles drop ins diapers wipes i needed a new crib mattress...i would have told the people who wanted to complain that they could have just gotten you a gift card and you could get what you wanted..my husbands family lives 4 hours away and thats what they did cuz they knew i would be much happier getting what was on my registry that i needed
    ahsot1230

Answer by ahsot1230 at 3:36 AM on Mar. 29, 2011