Have parents stopped parenting, do they seem more oblivious to their children's behavior

alotleft2do

Asked by alotleft2do at 11:05 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think we've evolved into a culture of overindulgence and coddling. I'm no different. Mothers are flamed for their disciplinary practices, or hear comments like "It's okay if you do so and so, AS LONG AS so and so." No. How a parents chooses to discipline is no different then how they choose to feed, educate or diaper their child.

There is some unwritten list of rules that serve the purpose of making mothers feel bad for how they raise their kids. Guess what? I yell sometimes. I get very angry and I yell. I also tell them to go into another room. Sometimes when my husband comes home, I go upstairs, lock my door and watch stupid television shows just to regroup.

I love my children with all my heart, and I want them to be decent human beings, but I'm human, too.
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 12:51 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Parents really can't win this either way. If we discipline children in public you can bet that someone will approach us with the "child abuse" threat, and if we don't discipline in public we are considered lazy and not paying attention. It's a lose lose situation for most of us although we still struggle to find a balance. My last experience in the store keeping my children under control was met with GLARES from a couple of other women. I'm not sure how I would have handled any interference from them at that moment.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:06 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• yes and no. i've seem parents that will not punish their kids for anything. and let them run wild doing what ever they want and talking how ever they want.

then there are parents that do try to teach their kids with respect and gentle parenting.
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 11:08 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Parents have stopped parenting, at least in part, because of the fact that if you dicipline your child in public you have to fear some nosey busybody either telling you how horrible a parent you are or calling CPS on you. I've seen both happen (not to me) and wonder what is wrong with people. There has been a breakdown of the moral structure of our nation, blame it on what you want, but the fact remains that it is there.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:20 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I watched a lady do nothing in Target as her hellish little 5 year old yelled "god dammit". I know kids swear sometimes, but I thought is was the parents job to correct them.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:13 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Society makes it difficult to parent in public at least. Every child has to win a trophy, and similar nonsense, teaches nothing.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• people are so worried about how others perceive them many dont "reprimand" in public because they dont want to be judged.
    mrs.pyle

Answer by mrs.pyle at 11:34 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I don't think parents have stopped parenting any more than they use to. There have always been parents who just let their kids do whatever and others who set boundaries. I think as we get older and have kids of our own we notice which parents are being "parents" and which ones choose to just sit back and let the kids run the show.
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 3:59 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• They're more worried about being their friend. The kids walk all over them.
    I see this issue with how girls dress. The parents let them dress like hoochies because the girls say that everyone dresses that way and the parents are too afraid of having their kid stand out by wearing modest clothes(sigh) so they give in

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:08 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• When i think back to some of my friends' parents I think the truth is there have always lazy parents. There have always been parents that are too concerned about being buddies to be a parent. There have always been parents too concerned about their own lives to be focused on their children. I don't think the issue is *today's parents* in general. I think we're simply a more connected society via media and online social networks. We're more aware of what everyone else is doing and so it seems more pronounced.

There are plenty of good, attune, involved parents who parent. Just like there always have been. There are also more than enough lazy parents who don't -- just like always.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:57 PM on Mar. 28, 2011