Back to school note.... offencive or not?? w/UPDATE

I sent this note in with my DD today in response to her being out sick - again. She is in first grade. Do you think I offended the school in any way?? My DH thinks I poured it on to strong...

"J" was absent from school on March 24th and 25th due to a fever. The Fever has since resolved, and as per the CDC guidelines she has been afebrile for well over 24 hours w/o fever reducing medication.

I am very concerned due to the fact that this is "J's" 3rd illness this school year. She has been the only person in our household that has had strep – she had this twice this year. With this last illness (simple cold s/sx w/fever) I am concerned that she is not being as diligent in hand washing at school as they were last year. 

I’d like to take this opportunity to ask that a greater effort is made to ensure she and her classmates are washing their hands before eating snacks and meals (as we all should be). Children should also be reminded often not to put their hands in their moths or near their eyes unless have washed their hands. I would also like to make sure that things like desks, door knobs and other commonly shared items are being cleaned/disinfected on a regular basis. I know this was huge priority last year at the Jefferson school due the prevalence of the H1N1 flu and the resulting media attention. I am concerned that we may have slacked off a bit in cold and flu prevention this year due to the decline in public attention.

I don’t want to be “one of those parents” but I felt this was worth mentioning due to the fact that cold and flu season runs well into the spring, and I do not want "J" to miss any more school when it may be preventable. She actually cried when she realized she was missing her favorite RTI teacher Friday, and that broke my heart.

Thank you so very much for attention in this important matter!

UPDATE: I did get a call from the Principal - she said that I am probably right, they have relaxed a bit and she will make a point of mentioning this at thier staff meeting Wed. - She also thanked me for going to her vs inciting an angry mob by grumbling behind her back to parents

Thank you all for your input!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Your being "one of those parents"... and IMO that is a good thing. There needs to be a few parents that keep bringing up issues like this otherwise it won't be taken care of. I'm "one of those parents" too. And I'm fine with that. Kids need to be taught to wash their hands to prevent the spread of germs. They need to be given the opportunity. You could try the hand sanitizer, however some schools do not allow children to keep them at their desk. So check with your school first.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:38 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I want to be honest. You are coming off as one of "those" parents you mention.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 11:16 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I wouldn't say it is offensive. Unnecessary is more what I would say.

1. They (if they are all like any of the schools I have dealt with in my education, or that I have dealt with through my work as an admin.) aren't going to care. They are going to read that it was an excused absence and throw the not away (maybe they will keep it in your child records) but they will not present it to anyone important enough to make any changes.

2. Sadly, all of the disinfecting, hand washing, sanitizing and cold prevention in schools can only go so far before it becomes detrimental. Kids need to be exposed to some of this stuff so that they can build up antibodies for when it really counts (high school and college- where absences cost them greatly). Yes, it is bothersome to have your child out sick 3 times in one year. But the best thing to do is to teach your child to be dilligent about their own health.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 11:23 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I think it sounds fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My son's school had notices reminding parents about all the things you brought up in your post. Very valid post by the way.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 11:16 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I dont think that was too strong of a note. Keep in mind though that kids do get sick & pick up germs all the time from various places. I would write a note similar to what you did to my childs school if I were concerend too.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 11:16 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I agree with pookie but if you are concerned then you need to bring it up. I hope J doesn't miss anymore school because of illness :(
    GL!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• pookiekins34 - I do know that, kinda why I said it. But, she tells me they are not even washing their hands before eating when last year they were NUTS about it. I also work in another school system where we are reinforcing these behaviors and absence are way down. So yeah, I was trying to be "that" parent! LOL

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:19 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Really jewjewbee?? I am a health care professional and I hadn't heard that stat - interesting. But, we don't have a dog, nor has she had contact with a dog in more then 6 months.... and we really haven't gone anywhere is the past few months that she could have picked up strep. Plus out of the 5 of us in the house she was the only one who had it. Her class of 20 has been down 5 kids almost every day for almost a month due to illness - so I know this is a big part of it.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• yes, I think you are in the right, could she take a small bottle of hand sanitizer with her to school, and keep it in her desk, or pocket?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:28 AM on Mar. 28, 2011