How long would you let a newborn cry in a store??

Not my kid, but man it was hard to mind my own business! I'm not sure what to think of this...I was at Target and a woman with a newborn and a 5 yo were within 15 to 20 feet of me the whole time I was in the store. The little boy was swearing and kicking things and she just acted completley oblivious. So the newborn starts screaming. She ignores it, ignores ignores ignores. After 25 minutes, the baby was hysterical, choking from screaming so hard, trying to catch her breath. Now get this, the woman was leisurly shopping while this is going on. Reading labels, checking stuff out, etc. Like she couldn't hear it or something. She made no attempts to comfort or feed the baby either. 45 minutes total this baby cried until she left the store. People were staring at eachother perplexed. I felt so bad for this baby. I usually mind my own business, but I really felt terrible for that baby. Why would someone do this? It was strange.

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 11:20 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• idk....i NEVER let my kids cry without me trying to comfort them, especially when they were newborns (people are crazy)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:21 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Oh wow! I would not of been able to bite my tongue with that lady. Maybe her mom did that to her as a child and she thinks it's ok to do with hers? I don't care how old a child is, a good parent always soothes them when crying! Poor baby, I hope somebody else around that child can give it the love it needs.
    kdunker

Answer by kdunker at 11:23 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I would have asked her if her baby was o.k. or tell her her baby is choking. If my baby was crying and I wanted to continue shopping or just had to...I'd nurse right there
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:23 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• If she allows that to happen in public, I can only imagine what happens behind the closed doors of her home. Very sad...and 45 minutes was plenty of opportunity for someone to step in or at least make a quick call to the cops. Don't believe I would have done nothing.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:24 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• That is horrible! The only time I let my newborn cry at a store was the first time I went grocery shopping with my two kids, when were checking out my daughter started to cry (she was probably a month old) the cashier gave the dirtiest look and I finally snapped and said "she's a baby she's going to cry! Why don't you stop with the dirty looks and scan my damn groceries so I can get the hell out of here". I was little embarrassed that I snapped, but seriously she was only crying for like 5 minutes and I needed my groceries and I was already at the checkout.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 11:27 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Colic moms need to shop too! maybe that was the reason?
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:30 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• What would the cops do? It's not illegal to let your baby cry in public even if it is wrong.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• 45 minutes of crying, and strapped in a carseat? Really? She could have repositioned the baby if that was the case.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 11:31 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I would NEVER have let my babies cry without trying to comfort them! If need be, I would have found a place to sit and nurse, even if it had been in the middle of the store! That poor baby :( I would have been at least picking her up and cuddling her, trying to make her feel better! Ugh- that makes me so upset!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:35 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Personally I would not let my baby cry for 2 minutes. A newborn does not cry for no reason. That poor baby. She could have given it a bottle right there and kept shopping.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:38 AM on Mar. 28, 2011