Does it hurt to thaw a frozen to oven turkey?

My husband bought the turkey on Monday and it's been in the fridge since. When we took it out this morning to prepare it, we discovered that it was not supposed to be thawed. Dh told me to throw it out and he is out right now trying to find another one. Poor guy. He's so mad at himself. Is is safe to cook it anyway?

Chickadee

Asked by Chickadee at 9:16 AM on Nov. 27, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Is it stuffed?
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:17 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I mean, did it come already stuffed?
    BlueFrogMama

• put the turkey in a sink full of water - it will thaw faster - it needs to be thawed before you cook it -
    cook it at 325 degrees - 20 mins per pound
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 9:19 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• This is a Butterball turkey that was prepared NOT TO BE THAWED, but to go from freezer to oven. Yes, it is stuffed.
    Chickadee

Answer by Chickadee at 9:23 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Okay, I've gotta go get my son out of bed, so here's the low down (from my food scientist husband)...

If it was pre-stuffed, you probably want to toss it. Chances are it would be okay, but the risk of food poisoning definitely goes up when you have an unthawed stuffed bird in your fridge for several days. If it's not pre-stuffed, we can't think of any reason why it would be unsafe.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:24 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Yes, my DH says it would be a good idea to just toss it. You COULD pull the stuffing out, rinse the turkey, pat it dry inside and out, restuff it with fresh stuffing, and make sure to cook the crap out of it. But if you are serving it to anybody who is pregnant, old, sick, or otherwise immunally compromised, just toss the whole thing and start over with a new bird.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:27 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• THANK YOU BlueFrogMama!! We just tossed it. Have a very happy Thanksgiving ladies.
    Chickadee

Answer by Chickadee at 9:28 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Not sure if you found a turkey but yesterday they were selling fresh turkeys for .28 a pound. You can either cook right away or freeze. It was a great deal because the frozen ones were .38 a lb you could only get 1 and had to do a minimum purchase. So I got 2 hugh turkeys for about 8 dollars.

Happy Thanksgiving
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 10:10 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Found this website - from Mayo clinic dietician: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/thanksgiving-turkey/AN01483
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 11:09 AM on Nov. 27, 2008