8 year old niece getting boobies :P

I noticed yesterday that my niece had breast buds. They're already the size of say...half dollars. I noticed because her parents haven't gotten her into a bra or at least an undershirt that is form fitting. I tried talking to my SIL about her taking her daughter to go pick out some cute bras and how she'll need to start talking to her about her period and so forth. She just blew me off. I feel for the kid. I had to wear a bra in 3rd grade and I was picked on terribly. When my period came at 11,I had no idea of what was happening to me because my mom kept me in the dark about my development. My niece is precocious and I'm afraid that if she doesn't get the education she requires,she could end up as one of these very young moms. Her parents aren't real big on making sure they know where she is.

Would it be too forward of me to get her one of those books about her body that has all the cartoon style pics in it? Do you think this would make my SIL mad?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 11:35 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think you should get her some information about her body, take the next step and take her to get her first bra. If your SIL gets mad, sit her down and educate her about teen pregnancy and how ignorance plays a big role in it. The girl should know whats goin on with her body and what to expect. Someone has to show her, and if her mom wont do it, be the better person and do it yourself.
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 11:38 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I think you had better talk to your SIL again,,, I don't think you should be buying that kind of book without asking her mother,,,,but so sad for the little girl,, could you talk to your brother?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:37 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Maybe talk to her about how she should bring the topic up to her parents.
    mommythree0508

Answer by mommythree0508 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I think I would rather my SIL be mad than her end up pregnant. I would normally say it's not your place, but if your the only way she's going to find out I say go for it. She needs to now that info.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:39 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• You need to talk to her parents before you do something like that. Its really not your place to just give her a book or discuss it with her. Maybe if you buy the book and give it to her mom then she will give it to your niece.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 11:40 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I was wondering what other people thought,, I think it is going to take more than a book,, LOL! I would ask your SIL over without her kiddo and really just say, I want to talk to you about your kiddo, surely any mother should realize the teasing and feeling different about her VS. the other girls,,,,I mean she needs to buy a bra for the poor kid, but having a sister in law who just took my son to get his haircut without asking me ( I am a stylist). I know that this could bring up some hard feelings towards you,,, if she honestly won't look at her kid and realize that she needs some education, could you enlist your mother in laws or your husband's help?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:23 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I might talk to my SIL again, but I would not give the girl a book or buy her a bra against my SIL's wishes. I would let my neice know that I was there for her, but that would be the extent. Now, if your neice ASKED you to buy her a bra I would, but I would not do it on my own.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:18 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• What does your MIL, the girl's grandmother think? That would be the next person to talk to. I would reach out the the girl and mention that you have noticed that she is maturing early. Tell her you did too. Let her know she can talk to you. But don't buy her anything, no books, no bras, unless she asks. Ideally,  she should talk to her mother.  If the girl isn't being supervised the grandmother should stick her nose in and give her son a load of grief for not stepping up.  Someone should know exactly where a 9 year old is at all times.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 10:19 AM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Why don't you take her for the weekend, than you can take shopping and give her books.

She needs to know that there is a adult she can go to for advice.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:38 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• He was there yesterday when I was talking to SIL. He was very uncomfortable and didn't want to discuss it,like it was something dirty!

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 11:38 AM on Mar. 28, 2011