Would you have snapped?

About a week ago I was at the grocery store picking up a few things for my older son's b-day when my other one was crying about a damn cookie, lol. This older lady said "keep those kids quiet!" I said to her if you don't like it don't listen to them and kids are EVERYWHERE!. I totally fkn yelled at her in the store and I didn't feel bad about it either. What I really wanted to do was punch her in the face.

Christine0813

Asked by Christine0813 at 9:33 AM on Nov. 27, 2008 in General Parenting

• Christine0813, don't feel like you have to explain yourself to these people. They are just trying to make you feel as bad as they do. I mean, they have to be bored, what with their perfect children and families.
    I would have been just as angry at that lady to and I would have gone off too. Your kids have just as much right to speak in a store as she does. Frankly, I am sure you didn't want to hear what either of them was saying!!
    My daughter is a good girl, but even she has a meltdown now and then. Does she get away with it? No. Does she try to? Of course! I refuse to be labeled a bad mom because she fusses sometimes. And you should too!
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 10:16 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• If it was just a damn cookie why didn't you get it for him? It makes me want to punch mothers in their faces when they bring kids into stores like that and let them cry over simple things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• And it's ignorant azzez like you who I would punch in the face if you had the guts to say it in my face. I don't give in to my child every time they cry and don't get their way, I don't give them a cookie to shut them up like you probably do. Kids are going to have "fits" in public, it's a fact! I parent my children not let them sucker me  just because they are crying over a damn cookie. If you choose to do that just to shut them go ahead.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:43 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I would have got upset too,when she said this,but I am assuming,you had your reasons for not just giving your son the cookie,to keep him from throwing a fit.Maybe the lady was just having a bad day.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 9:44 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• No, it's not a "fact" that kids have fits in public. Mine never did because they knew better. Teach them manners and respect and what they're allowed to have before you get to the store and stick to your guns and you won't have a problem. Good for that lady telling you to get your kids to shut up. I for one am sick of not being able to go to the store without some screaming brat following me throughout the whole store while their spineless mom tries to coddle them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• You have more will power than me...I would have punched her in the face. *shrugs* then again...it wouldnt be the first time I got into a fight with someone that couldnt mind their own business about my children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Yes kids have fits and yes my kids know better, but they do however try to push their limits and it didn't work for him. As for being spineless, hell no and I surely don't "coddle" my children. If anyone is spineless it's you for hiding beyond anon, and no not every anon has something negative to say but I can see you you are posting anon. I'd like to use some other choice words for you but it's not worth it. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and go try to chit on someone else's parade.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:01 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• Well, I am so glad that some of you Anonymous moms have perfect "saintly" children. Out here in the real world where we teach our kids manners and respect, sometimes they still have a bad day. Sometimes they don't preform like trained dogs.
    Doesn't sound like she was trying to coddle him at all or she'd have given him the damn cookie. Not all of us moms are perfect and do the perfect thing every single time.
    Maybe some of you should be spending time with your perfect children, and get off the computer. The rest of us are trying to make conversation and support each other.
    Stop being such bitches, just because your turkey isn't thawed yet.....
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 10:06 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• FYI, that was the FIRST time my son did that and it didn't work for him and the reason he didn't get a cookie is because he already had junk food before we left home. And yes I have seen other kids have melt downs in stores.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:06 AM on Nov. 27, 2008

• I have had people give me unwanted "advice" like this before in public. I smiled and said "Thank you for your concern, but I have it under control" and walk away. I'm not gonna force sugar down my children's throats because some dried up old childless widow has a problem. It's not like I tried to take them to the movies or the library when they were babies. Our oldest had a fit one time and threw a real temper tantrum at the store, I told him to stop or he was going to the car, he kept right on rolling so I handed him off to Daddy and finished the shopping. If these people think listing to a baby have a fit in a store is bad, they should try to live with a child who throws a fit or fights w/ the siblings at home constantly! We have 3 kids we love but my god do they get on my nerves sometimes! LOL
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 10:08 AM on Nov. 27, 2008