Cub scouts

does anyone have little cub scouts? do u enjoy goin to the meetings?

kimsmith22

Asked by kimsmith22 at 11:52 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• Dh and I don't support the boy scouts due to their stand on keeping out gays.
    Last I checked, it was in the by-laws.

Lots of parents don't like this about us, but we will not support organizations that do this, I think the organization should either change their stand on this or be forced to dissolve.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• One of our boys is in cub scouts, the oldest just moved up to boy scouts from webelos. It depends on the pack the kids are in. We're now on our 3rd pack because of problems/issues with the previous packs. This one seems to be great so far but we've only been there for a little over a month so... we'll see.

Anon, that is an issue my husband and I have with scouts as well but the best way to fight that kind of attitude is not to ignore it and not participate but to become active participants... change from the inside is a lot easier and better for the organization than protests and arguments from those who have no active role in the organization.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 11:58 AM on Mar. 28, 2011

• "change from the inside is a lot easier and better for the organization than protests and arguments from those who have no active role in the organization. "
    would be nice if life what that simple wouldn't it?

I don't have boys and as far as my area goes I wouldn't be welcome because I'm Bi. I'm mostly talking about us being asked for financial contributions which won't happen until the organization changes it's ways.

as for becoming active participants, both Dh and I have been turned down because we don't have a son in the organization, it's the same way with many of the schools and groups around here. unless you have a kid in participation, they don't want you.

so yes, I would be happy to try and change it from within, but it doesn't look like I'd have that opportunity any time soon.
    But if you are looking to change things then I applaud you.

so how are you doing so?
    Anonymous

• My son is a cub scout and he (usually) enjoys it. Your best best, honestly, is to find out more about the packs in your area. See if your family can visit a pack meeting and/or a den meeting. The experience each den has is going to be highly dependent on the volunteer in place as leader.

I'm a Girl Scout leader. There are basic things all troops do. There are basic guidelines to run a troop and there are 'typical' experiences each troop ends up with in some way shape or form. However, what my troop experience is may differ wildly from the troop my friend runs because we are two different people with two different styles and two different sets of girls. The experience is customized to the leader and her charges. Boy Scouts is no different.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:06 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Our family has also made the decision not to have DS join the Boy Scouts because they are unwilling to accept atheists and gays.

I disagree that the best way to fight it is by joining anyway. Instead, I like to encourage all families to sign their sons up for different types of non-discriminating "scouting" groups such as Campfire or 4H. The Boy Scouts will not change their policies until it starts to affect them financially.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 12:08 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My boys were in cub scouts and boy scouts. They enjoyed the experience and they attended most of their meetings with my husband.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:09 PM on Mar. 28, 2011