Is it harder for a single mom to get a date vs. a man who has kid(s)?

i'm a single mom. Been single for a while... to me it just seems like it's easier for a guy who has kids to get a date vs. a single mom... is it because women are more understanding about kids or what? what do you think? harder for a man with a kid or a woman witha kid?

lashes325

Asked by lashes325 at 11:58 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Relationships

• I don't think so. I think after a certain age men start to assume that women could have children. And honestly, the men I know have never really minded if their GFs have kids. BUT, I dont know many women, including myself, who are willing to date a man who has children...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:00 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I think in general a woman is more accepting of children in a relationship just because there is far less danger for them as far as being accused of sexually abusing a child.. men tend to always hear "well be careful of those kids, i would hate for them to say something and you get in trouble for something you didnt do"
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:01 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I think it's hard for everyone these days. When I was single (and childless!) I twice dated single dads. I think there is someone out there for absolutely everyone.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:02 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I've never seen a problem with any of my single mom friends gettting a date. And they're all in their early 20s when men usually aren't up for that kind of thing?
    Anonymous

• I think its the same both ways. I have two kids, and its not hard for me to get a date. As for the guys, my sister wont be with a man who has kids, she hates kids. (men can be like that too.)
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 12:04 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I am not sure for other single mothers but for me I am always worried that I might pick the wrong guy so I tend to just stay away. I know that it is bad to look only at the negative but that is how I feel as of right now. Who knows maybe sometime in the future I will feel different and be able to put myself out there.
    jnb71584

Answer by jnb71584 at 12:05 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• If he is the custodial parent, then he faces the same child care issues & when to introduce someone issues, that moms face. Someone who is already a father is usually more accepting of a woman w/ her own children. Some single guys just dont get it! I think some woman look at a single father as having endearing qualities, but some guys look at single moms as having a lot of baggage. Go figure. There are nice guys out there. You'll find one :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:07 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I'm 21 and i just feel like the men my age are too into partying and drinking and doing their own thing and won't even think about starting a relationship with someone who has that type of responsibility... My ds father isn't in the picture (AT ALL) i think that's also intimidating to them... or at least i like to tell myself that that's the reason...
    lashes325

Comment by lashes325 (original poster) at 12:15 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• My FIL had absolutely no problems taking on a woman with 2 teenage, hard-headed boys when he and my MIL got together/married. They've been married now for....20 years, I think? Or around that time anyway.

So, yes, there are men out there willing to take the father-role for kids with single moms!
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 12:15 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• In my dating experience, single men with kids preferred to date single women with kids.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 12:41 PM on Mar. 28, 2011