Is homsexuality caused by a brain chemical?

**This question is not about....

-whether homosexuality is right or wrong

-the rights/lack of rights of homosexuals.

If you would like to discuss these things please start a new question. This question is purely a clinical one based on results of a new study just published in the Journal of Nature.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/03/28/homosexuality-based-brain-chemical/?test=faces

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature09822.html

I found this interesting.  Even though this is just one study and it does not conclude this to be true in humans...what if further studies did?  Do you think it might could become considered a "treatable" condition and more importantly should it be treated if treatable?

Just thoughts on the article and what may/may not follow.  Please no bashing either ladies.  My thanks to you in advance.  :)

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 11:59 AM on Mar. 28, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• If it turned out to be a chemical issue it could probably be treated from birth..should parents opt for the treatment or allow their child to decide later?

I think the thought of it opens up a lot of possiblities that could make many of us a little uncomfortable if we found ourselves in the situation.
    -----------------------------------

it's REALLY Thought provoking. I mean, I've already toyed with the idea in my head of how I'd handle it if one of my daughters is a lesbian. (the middle one is constantly telling me she's a boy. I just go with it.) But, if given the opportunity would you CHANGE the course of your kid's sexual preference if given the option? Would there be a "gay test" along with your fifteen week ultrasound? What would you do? Would you choose to change the entire course of your child's existence without even meeting them?

it's really an interesting thought process.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:33 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I think it has to do with the way a fetus developed. Maybe they are attracted to the same sex because the part of the brain that controls that developed the opposite sex than their body,
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 12:01 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I do believe that homosexuality (for most people) is chemically or genetically determined as is heterosexuality.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 12:01 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• If it is "treatable" then it's up to the individual if they want it treated.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:12 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Serotonin, eh? That's fairly interesting...serotonin levels are responsible for all sorts of brain things. I'm wondering what the effects of the American diet are on serotonin levels. (preservatives, HFCS)
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:20 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• The food aspect is an interesting idea. I believe that things we ingest while pregnant have a huge impact on our children.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:32 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Correlation does not equal causation. It's just as likely that the same combination of conditions that result in homosexuality also impact how much of certain chemicals are produced and/or how quickly they are metabolized. Just as with a diabetic - you can treat the symptoms of diabetes, but you cannot cure it. A diabetic is always a diabetic. There's no magic insulin that will make them never have to worry about what's in their diet, and no magic diet that lets them eat a dozen donuts with impunity. In other words, interesting, but not actionable. (as for whether or not it should be, a decision better left to the people directly involved. Owning a bible doesn't qualify)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:34 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Homosexuals do not have a "condition" to be treated, this implies they are somewhat ill, there is nothing wrong with being a homosexual, and it is not a "condition to be treated in any way shape or form.

Answer by older at 1:46 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I think, based on the study (although so far it is only this one) that it might be possible that it's related to a chemical. Personally I think a lot more testing/research would need to be done, and on something other than mice, before any real answer is going to be available.

As for your question about whether it is/should be treatable, that one is difficult at best. If it turns out that it is due to a chemical lack or imbalance, it shows that it isn't a 'choice' that is made. If a treatment does become available, that would MAKE it a choice. Personally, I believe that a person should be able to make their own medical choices (as well as choices for their children). In this one instance, there is a mess of sticky matter that regardless of what choice is made, or who makes it, is going to open a whole case of cans of worms imo.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:41 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• hmmm.... interesting....
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 12:05 PM on Mar. 28, 2011