What is the ettiquette for this?

We just found out this week we are having a girl, our second child after our son. We were terribly excited, and called all the important relatives from the parking right after the ultrasound to tell them the sex of the baby. Before we even got home, one of my sisters had posted the news on facebook for all the world to see. We didn't tell anyone not to do that, but isn't there some basic ettiquette that says the parents of the baby should get to tell the world? I'm not too upset, since we didn't actually say "Don't say anything until we do" to anyone, but I'm a little annoyed...I'm not going to "not speak to anyone" because of it, but I'm a little disappointed we didn't get to spread the news ourselves. Has anybody had this happen to them? What did you do/say?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on Mar. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would be upset too. I think common courtesy is no longer common. I would never blab someone else's news like that, to me it's rude.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:08 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I think you would have needed to state, "Please don't share the news, we would like to announce it ourselves," if that was important. I am sorry, I know it must have been disappointing for you. But, your sister didn't break any rules :(

The good thing about facebook is that you can go home and post about your baby, and your network will come to you in force with congrats!!! I know this for a fact because I have seen pregnancies announced several times before . . . by siblings, grandparents, spouses, and it doesn't matter where in the timeframe mom posts, she always gets showered with love!

This hasn't spoiled any of the excitement that your friends will feel for you.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:12 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Nah, let this one go.... you did basically 'tell the world' at least in the sense that you called everyone who is important in 'your world' from the parking lot. ... yeah, she jumped the gun a little, but she's probably giddy with excitement over the news.... she posted it on *her facebook for all of *her world to see. I'm sure she meant no harm. And honestly, I don't think there is an actual etiquette for this one, but if an etiquette were invented* ~ I'd say that you should have told everyone specifically not to post it. Sorry, Momma, and congratulations on the baby girl - but forgive your sister and enjoy knowing how tickled pink she is that she's getting a little niece.
    I have had a person "post ON MY facebook" a supposed update when a family member was critically ill but she wasn't family and posted un-true information. Her post was actually harmful; I deleted her comment and her and blocked her. (totally different)
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 12:19 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• you called and told them there for giving them the chance to share the news.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:06 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I would be BUMMED.... not their news to share. then again I am an only child (as is my husband) so I don't really understand sibling rules/structure. with both of our kids though our familes/friends kept their mouths shut until they were pretty certain we'd spread the word around 1st
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:08 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I have had this happen to me with my first child. My mom and mother-in-law told everyone and didn't give us a chance to tell anyone. It upset me because I wanted to be the one to spread the happy news. But I looked over it because they were the excited grandparents.
    shelle21

Answer by shelle21 at 12:10 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I don't think there is a RULE for that. You told your sister so we was just so excited and wanted to share in that excitement. I doubt she did it to upset you. :) You can still make your own FB post about it, as I am sure you don't have ALL THE SAME FB friends as she. :)
    Anonymous

• My BIL's wife's sister posted a PICTURE of their brand new baby on facebook before they got a chance to do it. Some people have NO sense. Not much you can do though. Perhaps address it kindly with her and ask her not to do it again.
    mrsfitz05

Answer by mrsfitz05 at 12:20 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• I'd be a little down about it, but the excitement over having a new little girl in the house soon would probably override that. Good for you for not making a huge thing about it- there's too much drama in the world already! lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 12:31 PM on Mar. 28, 2011

• Oh yeah, my father is notorious for "stealing my thunder" and yeah it's annoying, but if you gave out the news with no requests to keep it on the down low, your sis was probably just excited and not thinking.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 12:41 PM on Mar. 28, 2011